Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Chronicle Nov 17, 2013, "Addicted to Tesla"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Front page of the Style section, big glowing T logo with "Are you a Teslaholic? Go ahead and hug the curves - this electric car engineers a cultlike following."
by Nellie Bowles

Addicted to Tesla

Electric cars were not always particularly sexy. While mayor, Newsom drove one of the earliest.

"And I was mocked everywhere! Chron did five or six nasty cartoons of me - gelled hair slicked back, little electric car - making fun," said Newsom, who installed two Tesla superchargers at his Cade Winery in Napa. "Elon's been so savvy getting those hip tech folks. He created a brand making electric cars appear superior. And now I'm a visionary! I just sit back smugly. I'm like, 'Told you so.' "

When the new Bay Bridge span opened this fall, Newsom had old-timey cars drive first - then Teslas.

Several Tesla salespeople recently visited Newsom's winery to give test drives and take orders. The cars sat out front next to their special Tesla-only chargers (a network of which the company is furiously working to flesh out)

That was news to me, that Newsom has a winery and he has superchargers there. Pretty convinced it is indeed a supercharger because note the reference to Tesla-only network. Has anyone been there to confirm?

Front page of the Style section, big glowing T logo with "Are you a Teslaholic? Go ahead and hug the curves - this electric car engineers a cultlike following."
by Nellie Bowles

Addicted to Tesla

That was news to me, that Newsom has a winery and he has superchargers there. Pretty convinced it is indeed a supercharger because note the reference to Tesla-only network. Has anyone been there to confirm?

I haven't been to the winery, but I would bet the farm that the chargers are HPWCs and not SCs. Still, that's good news for folks visiting Napa.

Yup, HPWCs was my interpretation as well. So the "network" part is probably reporter confusion once again. I bet if you asked that reported about Twin Chargers and the Supercharger network you'd get the deer in headlights look.

I haven't been to the winery, but I would bet the farm that the chargers are HPWCs and not SCs. Still, that's good news for folks visiting Napa.
Ditto. Last time we went up there (Spring, iirc -- ended up going all the way up to J) we'd stopped off in Davis on the way home because of the 70Amp J1772 in Davis. An 80 Amp wall connector (or even de-rated to 60A) would've been welcome too. And we could've tried some other winery rather than coffee in Davis.

CADE winery is pretty nice. If you want to taste better call for an appointment. Years ago it was a Roadster charger, check when you call. They didn't discount the tasting if you bought wine. Good stuff. But I think there is better on the price/performance curve.

Yup, HPWCs was my interpretation as well. So the "network" part is probably reporter confusion once again. I bet if you asked that reported about Twin Chargers and the Supercharger network you'd get the deer in headlights look.

In response to another inquiry, I visited Cade yesterday after work, specifically to report to him.

I found: A Blink Level 2 charger. Only one. 30 amps max, 7 kw per hour.
If you go inside, the winery has a Blink card that they will swipe for you, so they pay the Blink fees. You do not have to sign up for Blink.
They inform me that they have a Blink (J1772) adapter for Roadsters. Tesla had originally installed two Roadster chargers, hence "Tesla network"

I live all of one half mile from Cade. They do have some beautiful views of one of the side valleys of Napa Valley, not Napa Valley. As I am not a connoisseur of wine, I cannot give opinions on that area.

With arrangements, anyone is welcome to charge in my garage (40 amps, 10 kW per hour) and drive my car to the winery, or whatever arrangement works. You get about 30% more charge and it's backed by solar (11 kW) so no problem with timing. *Without* arrangements, we have no crime in Angwin, the garage is unlocked, enjoy yourselves. ( I see a lot of fear in many of your eyes) We also have neighbors who might come over and ask how things are going.