Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any place to charge in Walla Walla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to drive my MS from Seattle out to Walla Walla first weekend in May. I'll charge up at my place in Ellensburg, or maybe try the new Supercharger there, but will need a full charge while in Walla Walla to make it back. On the recargo map I see the Nissan dealer (which I hear doesn't allow tesla) and someplace called "Bend Over Walla Walla" (not sure what THAT is, google doesn't find it). Does anyone know if Bend Over is a possibility? Or if any of the hotels in town have a NEMA-14-50 or other charging stations? Thanks.

FeatofClay: if you continue to zoom in on the Recargo map you will find a second charging opportunity near the "Bend Over Walla Walla" listing. It is "Corvus Cellars" open Saturday and Sunday 11 - 5 or by appointment. (509) 241-0318 Says the charge is free with a purchase... Might call and arrange to buy a bottle and access their NEMA 14-50. Let us know how your trip to Walla Walla goes.

I'm planning to drive my MS from Seattle out to Walla Walla first weekend in May. I'll charge up at my place in Ellensburg, or maybe try the new Supercharger there, but will need a full charge while in Walla Walla to make it back. On the recargo map I see the Nissan dealer (which I hear doesn't allow tesla) and someplace called "Bend Over Walla Walla" (not sure what THAT is, google doesn't find it). Does anyone know if Bend Over is a possibility? Or if any of the hotels in town have a NEMA-14-50 or other charging stations? Thanks.

I have a nema 14-50 that can be used for free but I'm off the beaten path a bit making hanging out at my place optional but kind of strange perhaps especially if I'm not at home.

I am lobbying for a chargepoint or similar for my workplace downtown and corliss cellars supposedly has a 14-50. I'll stop by and talk to them someday and post back. No other chargers here.

The tricities chargers are all really not usable. Yakima charging can be done at night at the Nissan dealer. So I would suggest the Ellensburg charger and then a night in may charging on my nema 14-50 for the ride home. I can coordinate with you if you pm dates and times and no other options exist in may.

I have seen multiple questions about charging in Walla Walla. Maybe it is a good place to look for a good place to put an orphan HPC with an adapter. (If the HPC is still availabile.)
Too bad there isn't a Burgerville in Walla Walla. We now have a couple good stories about cities or businesses that are happy to host charging such as the City of Port Angeles and Burgerville in Centralia. We could also point out that this could lead to Superchargers in the future and that is good for both the businesses and citizens of the community.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen multiple questions about charging in Walla Walla. Maybe it is a good place to put an orphan HPC with an adapter. (If the HPC is still availabile.)
Too bad there isn't a Burgerville in Walla Walla. We now have a couple good stories about cities or businesses that are happy to host charging such as the City of Port Angeles and Burgerville in Centralia. We could also point out that this could lead to Superchargers in the future and that is good for both the businesses and citizens of the community.

I'd really like to see a 70A charger remain in Ellensburg for Roadsters and to have some 70A chargers in Walla Walla as well. I really wish Tesla would install some Roadster chargers at select supercharging locations as a demo to see if that would work and to help out their founding believers.

We have friends in Walla Walla. He has a shop with turkey foot 220 volt outlets (NEMA 10-50) down the wall. I went to Home Depot and made a quick adapter from 10-50 to 14-50 (ground wire to both Neg and Ground works nicely). It is a nice adapter to have, as many shops might let you use their welder circuit. I helps if you know someone. My church there has 14-50. Found one motel with 14-50 but it was too far out of the way and have forgotten which one.

It sounds like you will be staying with someone you know. It is quite easy to wire a 50 amp circuit breaker into their circuit breaker panel, if there's room, dangle the wire straight out the front (this is temporary, you understand) and have a 14-50 plug on the end. It is useful to have a 15' 50 amp extension cord or two (RV supply stores). With a little wiring knowledge, you can often charge easily. It helps to be creative, but make sure of your wire size (#6), check for heat at the plugs when you start charging (not warm; hot)

All of eastern WA and OR are a charging desert. We did many RV parks, found hotels, stayed with friends and relatives. Made it to Canada before there were any superchargers available. And back.

...All of eastern WA and OR are a charging desert. We did many RV parks, found hotels, stayed with friends and relatives. Made it to Canada before there were any superchargers available. And back.
My first post here, so please be kind. I drive a 2011 Leaf, so I've only been active on MyNissanLeaf.com, but have been lurking a bit over here as well. I have helped out two Tesla owners with charging locally, one who stayed overnight and another who continued on to Walla Walla. Because of this, I've been working on getting some charging stations installed near the Tri-Cities.

I have a couple of good possibilities and will meet with a business owner next week. Since this is my first post, I don't know how to create a poll (or if I'm allowed at this point). Since this is only applicable to a few, it may not even warrant a poll.

What type of charging would be preferable? I was leaning toward ClipperCreek CS-100 to maximize use for the 20 KW Tesla. Do most people have the 10 or 20 KW charger? Do most people plan on staying in TC or going on to WW? If staying overnight, I'd guess that even a 5 KW, or 7 KW EVSE would be sufficient (especially with the Ellensburg SC). I'm assuming that most people would arrive in TC with about 50% SOC and only need a 1-2 hr top up during dinner or 10 hr charge at a hotel. Is this realistic or would you need more charging time.

Any particular locations that you would be interested in seeing with an EVSE? How often might you visit, how long, would you spend the night or multiple nights, would this be a special trip because an EVSE is available (and you wouldn't come otherwise), what activities would draw you to the TC, how much might you spend, etc. Wow, that sure sounds like overbearing marketing, sorry.

Last question: Would you be willing to help fund an installation? I don't expect anyone to trust me on this point right now, given my single post. However, my activity on MNL (user Reddy) may provide a bit more on my background. One particular installation could require more funds than I am willing to put out (I can't say much about it right now, but if the stars align properly it would be an excellent location and likely completed by year end). Trust me on this one, if everything works, the donations will go through a reputable organization and will be tax-deductible. FYI, I donated to the Sun Country, with the specific instructions that my donation go toward EVSEs within 50 mi of TC, but haven't heard any update: Presentation: Bringing The Sun Country Electric Highway To The US!! Unfortunately, I now wish I'd kept the money for these installations.

Much of this information that I requested above will be used to update my presentation to local business owners as to the benefits of EVSE installation. I've got a pretty good handle on my pitch and have pulled lots of information from various EV-related websites. However, the use of real, local EV testimonials will help even more. Please feel free to post or PM either here or at MNL.com

Welcome to the forum! I can't answer many of your questions, but I can at least cover a few technical ones.

When it comes to 10/20kW charging, it's hard to say. Those that were planning on doing many long trips outside the SC network probably have 20kW charging ability. Those like myself that either don't travel much or plan to mostly use SC sites, only have 10kW chargers. As for what size EVSE, I would say it depends on where it's being located. If you put them at a hotel where overnight charging is most likely to happen, having a 7kW unit is fine. In fact, having multiple 7kW units would be even better and cost about the same as a single high amperage unit. Even a 85kWH Model S can fully charge overnight on a 7kW EVSE (approximately 12 hours going from almost 0% SOC to 100%). Now if you put one at a restaurant or other short term location, a CS-100 would be much better. That helps those with 10 and 20kW chargers charge as fast as possible during their visit.

Good luck with your endeavor! There's nothing more depressing then planning a trip with an EV and seeing absolutely no EV charging in a whole city that you want to stay or visit.

There's a 60A charger in Kennewick area, about 50mi from Walla Walla. I can dig up the business name if would be helpful. Nice guy, very gracious.
The business is Perfection Tire, 2525 S Union St, Kennewick, WA. The info on Plugshare is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

ChrisPDX, thanks for the welcome and info. I'm looking at a couple of locations. I agree on the 7 KW EVSE at hotels and higher ones at restaurants. I've spent some time perusing other threads and I'm starting to believe that most owners have or will go with the single 10 KW OBC, especially with the expanding superchargers. Given the 100-120 mi distance from the Tri-Cities to the Ellensburg SC (even less from Ritzville), a 10 KW EVSE would likely top up the 85 kWh battery in a couple of hours. Another thing I hadn't thought about was installing a Tesla HPWC instead of a J1772 EVSE. Obviously, since I own a Leaf, having J1772 installations is preferred for me. However, under certain circumstances that might make sense (e.g., multiple EVSE installation). We'll see how my discussions go.

I'd vote on the higher amp L2 installation. It'll get folks out of there quicker who do have 20kw capability, plus also future proof in the hopes that more EVs are capable of hi amp charging in the future. I would be interested in donating as well.

As an update, Abeja Winery added a Tesla Model S HPWC recently at 100 amps. It's available to guests staying at the Inn only but it's certainly a nice place to stay while you are visiting.

As an update, Abeja Winery added a Tesla Model S HPWC recently at 100 amps. It's available to guests staying at the Inn only but it's certainly a nice place to stay while you are visiting.
As the moniker says, napabill is/was likely involved in the wine biz. John and Molly Abbott, who run Abeja go way back with us to their days at Acacia Winery, which I was involved with. Fun people. And Abeja is a great property. I look forward to making my way up there next year and buy some more of their wonderful wines. Just got some of their Syrah and it is wonderful.