Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mr. King goes to Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
So apparently I'll be representing EVcast at the Tesla Model S media launch event at noon on March 26th in the Tesla Design Studio in the SpaceX rocket factory. This will be the first public unveiling of the sedan.

I don't particularly know how this sort of thing works. (Damnit Jim! I'm a scientist, not a journalist!) But I may have the opportunity to ask some questions and will be recording a podcast. If you have any questions you'd like me to try to ask, post them here.

Last edited:
Well, take your pick from all these questions:

Power / Torque ? What are the real DT2.0 changes?

Dimensions (length, width, height, wheelbase)
What size wheels? (e.g.: 20"?)

What is the latest on regen? Adjustable? Brake blended?

Any partnership with anyone to help make it? (e.g.: will it use Daimler parts?)

What about model variations? (Base model with 160 mile range? Longer range model with 300 mile range?) Latest cost projections for different models?

Any more word on the DOE loan firming up? Any EIR issues with the new planned production site?

Anything interesting related to charging? Same plug as the Roadster? Any collaboration with Better Place? V2G? Pack swap ideas?

What sort of battery pack capacity are we talking about for the different models? The the same type of 18650 format batteries? How many per pack? kWh?

Keyless entry? Push button starter? What are the door handles like?

Any other novel / new / innovative technology that they have come up with that would interest us?

(For this site, not the EVcast), Pictures of the interior, particularly what the driver will see of the dashboard and center console.

I assume (unlike the Roadster), steering will need to be power assisted. Did they get an electrically assisted steering rack from someone?
One windshield wiper (like the Roadster) or two?

If you can get a video clip of how the bluetooth, music selection and GPS works on the NAV screen.

And what did Franz von Holzhausen start with and decide to change?
(Will they offer photos of the various prototypes?)

Actually for the podcast try to get him to talk about what he thinks of Model S, please!

Last edited:
Congrats on getting to represent EVcast, doug.

TEG posted most of the questions that could be asked.

Here are some possible questions I figured out:
How were they able to package the battery and motor in the sedan?

It would be also interesting to know that kind of weight saving techniques they used.

Another thing is how did they deal with drag and also how does the efficiency compare with the Roadster?

Video or pictures would be very nice.

I suppose I can be the token European then.... :)

Hmm questions regarding sales:

What will the European price be?

Where will you be able to see it in the US in a few months?

Where will you be able to drive it in the US in a few months?

Any idea on when and where you will be able to see and/or drive it in Europe?

When will the US car configurator be available on the website?

When will the European configurator be available on the website?

Any news on a Norwegian sales channel?

Technical questions:
It has been touted as a very practical sedan/hatchback, can you highlight any practical features?

What is the maximum height of a front row driver, how about the backseat?

What security features will it have?

Will it have ESP, ABS?

How many airbags and where?

Any other novel security features, like laneshift warning, falling asleep warning etc.?

Hmm that's what I can come up with right now.

Cobos

I expect there will be some changes between the prototype you see and what goes into production later. Some parts they used on the prototype may become unavailable, and some new technology that they will want will become available so it is likely it will evolve at least a little before production. Also, it is fairly common between prototypes and production to get bodywork adjustments for safety, aesthetics, and other things they learn as they do crash testing, collect customer feedback, etc.

So, can you find out if there are things they are already planning to change? Are there things about the prototype that they don't like and are working on?

I wonder if the bumpers are "final", or if they need to be lengthened to meet 5mph standards. The teaser shots suggested minimal bumpers.

As one example of how much a car can change from prototype type to production, here are pics of the Porsche Boxster "before and after":
boxster0.jpg

newbox.jpg

Thanks for the questions so far. I expect there will be a press kit with the important specs and pricing info. I'll prioritize things and try to find out what I can, but there may not be time for the minutiae.

Btw, lets try to leave speculation and off topic stuff out of this thread. Thanks! :smile:

Last edited:
Well, most of the good questions have been taken already. :)

After being an EV driver for about ten years now, the single most important aspect for me is battery life - both calendar and cycle. Everything else about an EV is a slam-dunk in my book.

I would so love for the S to be more of an efficient people/gear mover than a super-sexy "sport sedan" but I'm not going to cry over having exotic hardware to show off :rolleyes: I just want to make sure it can do all the family duties - in other words, a serious trunk (would so much rather have a cargo area with door or hatch-back, but there goes your sexy styling...) and real passenger room. If this thing ends up with less passenger room/comfort than the iMiEV, I'm going to have some stern words!

Last edited:
The rumor mill suggests that it will be a very practical, roomy vehicle.
It may well have a Prius like rear window that lifts up hatchback style.
(We will know in a couple of days).
I had requested they do a narrow vehicle that could fit in compact parking spaces easily, but I think luxury, comfort and roominess won out. Rumors are that it will seat 3 across in back, and have the interior space of a BMW 7 series. (But much shorter overall due to smaller 'overhangs').

My biggest concerns are:
#1: Will they be able to jump over the remaining hurdles to make it into production? (For instance, they seem rather dependent on government loans coming through)
#2: When will it actually be available? (We know the Roadster took a lot longer than originally planned)
#3: Will the costs stick to the projections / suggestions? They say "under $50K after rebates", but will that still be true in 2011/2012? What sort of "base model" will you have to accept to get that price? What sort of options will you want that could drive the price up?

As usual we will all be very interested to know all about the battery pack options, associated pricing and range.

The rumor mill suggests that it will be a very practical, roomy vehicle. What sort of options will you want that could drive the price up?
I'll betcha a dollar that the wheels in the teaser shot won't come with it for the standard price. ;) Of course I'm not sure I want the giant fans anyway!

As usual we will all be very interested to know all about the battery pack options, associated pricing and range.
Yes, the rumored "two capacity" thing would be great to nail down. It makes some sense to have two levels like that. About the easiest way to set your price level is to control the battery capacity.

What I'd like to see is the extra battery capacity decoupled from the "luxury" bits. It has always irked me to have to buy a large, heavy car in order to get all the neat goodies... and this is sort of the other way around. I want the longer-range car, but without the Coach leather interior.

I suppose in California you have to offer a vegitarian seat option (what if your kid nibbles on the seat f. inst. :)

I also hope they've got decent amount of equipment on the base model and allow you flexibility in what you get at both ranges. I would like many of the tech options, if not so much the luxury at least not the leather seats, and all that with the shorter range. So I agree with EVnut , we clearly shows they need to cater to us both...

Cobos

Status
Not open for further replies.