Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To troll or not to troll? That is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He can speak for himself but maybe it's because this is a thread about fires. That's my guess.

Perhaps I should rephrase -- I'm unclear as to why BillHamp showed up during the fires, began posting lengthy, carefully-worded posts about the risks of Tesla fires, and only posts in this thread, in an entire forum dedicated to Tesla Motors. I'm also unclear as to his interest in Tesla Motors. I asked for BillHamp to introduce himself, but it would appear he is unwilling (unable?) to do so.

Perhaps I should rephrase -- I'm unclear as to why BillHamp showed up during the fires, began posting lengthy, carefully-worded posts about the risks of Tesla fires, and only posts in this thread, in an entire forum dedicated to Tesla Motors. I'm also unclear as to his interest in Tesla Motors. I asked for BillHamp to introduce himself, but it would appear he is unwilling (unable?) to do so.

You don't need to rephrase it but we have mods to figure out the answer. They have banned those judged to be trolls, rude, threatening, or generally violating forum rules of conduct. So we should just let them handle it.

I asked for BillHamp to introduce himself, but it would appear he is unwilling (unable?) to do so.
I'd just like to say he's not obligated to introduce himself and pressing the issue further may get the mods to lay the "smackdown" on you (or at least banish some comments to the snippiness thread). Like Beavis says, if the behavior gets to the point of violating forum policy the mods will handle it and in general it's against forum policy to dig too much on the personal background of members.

I get your point that there have been an influx of new commenters who solely comment on this fire incident (usually negatively), but I don't think it's appropriate to call people out like this unless their comments are way out of hand.

I would like to say (without refering to anyone) that I have been positively surprised from the big amount of tolerance that TMC has with respect to people speaking badly against Tesla on TMC. I think that this happens because TMC is aware of the big technical arguments of Tesla. It's good like this.

All these arguments and multiple threads about fires bring a ton of traffic to the site and unfortunately these seem to be the most popular threads. If there were no Trolls there would be considerably less traffic and therefore bad for the site as a whole. If I were running the site I'd probably allow it to happen too. It's just the economic reality of trying to run a profitable website. It is what it is and I would not expect the owners of the site to make much effort to stop it unless it was waaaaay out of line. As with reality shows, conflict = ratings.

The best thing all of us can do is not respond and simply let these threads die. Unfortunately that would mean letting the bad guys have the last word, but really, who cares if that last word is buried in the archives? Just something to think about, but either way, I think most people are getting pretty bored with the fire talk. The bottom line is that it's simply another type of collision that needs to be fixed at the body shop. Your insurance won't even have to pay for the new battery. It's really no big deal and I can't understand all the hysteria. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to drive a P85+ loaner for awhile. ;)

I would like to say (without refering to anyone) that I have been positively surprised from the big amount of tolerance that TMC has with respect to people speaking badly against Tesla on TMC. I think that this happens because TMC is aware of the big technical arguments of Tesla. It's good like this.

This is Tesla Motors Club, not Company so we try to be open and not direct discussion either positively or negatively. I think many people can find fanboism as irritating as trolling.

All these arguments and multiple threads about fires bring a ton of traffic to the site and unfortunately these seem to be the most popular threads. If there were no Trolls there would be considerably less traffic and therefore bad for the site as a whole. If I were running the site I'd probably allow it to happen too. It's just the economic reality of trying to run a profitable website. It is what it is and I would not expect the owners of the site to make much effort to stop it unless it was waaaaay out of line. As with reality shows, conflict = ratings.

The best thing all of us can do is not respond and simply let these threads die. Unfortunately that would mean letting the bad guys have the last word, but really, who cares if that last word is buried in the archives? Just something to think about, but either way, I think most people are getting pretty bored with the fire talk. The bottom line is that it's simply another type of collision that needs to be fixed at the body shop. Your insurance won't even have to pay for the new battery. It's really no big deal and I can't understand all the hysteria. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to drive a P85+ loaner for awhile. ;)

Obvious trolling is stomped on but sometimes it takes a while to identify trolls. Someone who feels strongly about a subject shouldn't be banned just because they keep banging the drum on a single issue. Believe me though, there's no way we leave an obvious troll in order to drive traffic - you can choose which threads to read, but moderators have to read this stuff.

Hahah. OMG. It's the first time I've ever seen us accused of letting negative stuff be out here so as to drive traffic! We (moderators) have been accused of censoring negative opinions in the past, which was unfair ... but this is a new one!

No. While moderators discuss many things, we don't discuss how to drive traffic. And Nigel is right. We have to read this stuff. Have mercy.

Well I'm happy to hear it. I've been a Moderator and I can tell you that not all site owners are the same. I was told specifically NOT to Ban Trolls (unless they made it impossible not to) because they were good for business. I will admit to possibly being a "tad" overzealous in my Bannings though… The owner basically told me back off. :tongue:

It never occurred to me when I bought a Tesla that I'd be spending so much of my energy defending it. I already went through this with Apple and everyone telling me they were going to go out of business for years. :rolleyes: Either way, I'm think I'm "over it" now. There's plenty of good folks here too and I'm sure that "this too shall pass". I guess you gotta take the bad with the good. ;)

Last edited:
I think many people can find fanboism as irritating as trolling.
It is. And, unfortunately, I've sometimes seen cases where some folks are hardcore fanboys and unwilling to see the other points of view.

I have no time to participate in the TSLA investing threads anymore, but the impression I got that anyone that has anything negative to say about the stock, it being a momentum stock, about its valuation being nuts, etc. esp. if they're relatively new is likely to be branded as a troll or short seller.

I have no time to participate in the TSLA investing threads anymore, but the impression I got that anyone that has anything negative to say about the stock, it being a momentum stock, about its valuation being nuts, etc. esp. if they're relatively new is likely to be branded as a troll or short seller.

Well, you also have to remember that this is a fan site and most of the folks in the investing section are long TSLA because they believe in Tesla's future. It's hard sometimes to understand why someone who wasn't a fan would start posting in that section.

Well, you also have to remember that this is a fan site and most of the folks in the investing section are long TSLA because they believe in Tesla's future. It's hard sometimes to understand why someone who wasn't a fan would start posting in that section.
Thing is, there are ways to make money on TSLA w/o being necessarily long or short the stock.

If everyone there is a fanboy and singing kumbaya, that's potentially pretty dangerous and sounds like groupthink to me. Remember what happened during the .com boom days?

I sure hope that some folks who are long have invested thru the .com boom and collapse. I have. Back then, I knew little about investing and nothing about options.

He can speak for himself but maybe it's because this is a thread about fires. That's my guess.

Precisely what I was going to say.

- - - Updated - - -

I introduced myself and answered your questions, some of them twice. I told you I like Ev's and am interested in their success. That is why a potential problem interests me. Tesla has been doing very well, but these fires could ruin that. I want to know more about them. Simple as that.