Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P85+ on Wednesday -- my enthusiasm is significantly dampened after 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I being stupid? The look when lowered and the handling of the P85+ was a big factor in my decision to spend $120K+ on this car, and I'm frankly pissed at how this 5.8 release went down. I'm cautiously optimistic that January will bring us some more control over this, but I obviously have no guarantee of this. I've made my feelings known to Tesla about everything, but you know how that goes.

Are folks seeing a significant change in the feel of the car without highway lowering?

I really want to take delivery of the car -- I don't want to wait -- I just feel like I was sold a bill of goods, got excited about it, and now am uncertain whether I'll get what I paid for. It's not a great feeling.

I think just a few sour folks on the forums have managed to blow this significantly out of proportion. While some folks are upset--and they have every right to be--please don't let their negativity wear you down.

The car is freakin' awesome, even if it's (temporarily) one (measly) inch higher when you're driving at freeway speeds.

I think just a few sour folks on the forums have managed to blow this significantly out of proportion. While some folks are upset--and they have every right to be--please don't let their negativity wear you down.

The car is freakin' awesome, even if it's (temporarily) one (measly) inch higher when you're driving at freeway speeds.

Right. 90% of the angst is from the lack of communication about the change, not the car itself. You'll really enjoy driving it.

But the fact remains that they did change the look of the car and also change the center of gravity. Why is it wrong for folks to be upset about this?
If you're upset, the best outlet (that I know of) is an email to ownership (and perhaps a trip to the service center). Creating multiple threads and injecting posts in every active thread about the same topic doesn't really do much other than distract and overload moderators.

I'm actually not worried at all about the suspension issue, as they've stated they'll give it back to us in January. The thing has everyone stirred up about it was that they didn't tell anyone about it until after they rolled it out and there was no mention of it in the release notes. It was a sneaky move, and totally uncalled for. Not professional whatsoever. They have actually lost a little trust and credibility because of this. They need to make it right to gain that back. Besides that, the car is still pretty incredible. So don't worry about it. Enjoy your P85.

But to be honest, if I were you, I'd make a big stink about it and refuse to pick the car up unless it came with 5.6 (which is what all the loaner cars are - the loaner cars aren't being upgraded to 5.8 AFAIK). So I would make a big deal about it. They'll probably come back and say it already has 5.8 and they can't downgrade, but I'll call BS on that any day and still refuse it unless it has 5.6 or 5.9+ to get your smart air suspension. If you make a big stink and cause them a huge headache, they'll probably cave in and fix it for ya, so I'd stand my ground. my 2c

But the fact remains that they did change the look of the car and also change the center of gravity. Why is it wrong for folks to be upset about this?

I just read your posts from before. Not sure how you got from being so excited to being so upset about being 1 inch higher when driving at freeway speeds. To be blunt your post above reads like a spoiled brat.
If you did the "Pepsi test" you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference in handling or center of gravity whether your 4 inches or 5 inches above the ground.

Enjoy the car.

But to be honest, if I were you, I'd make a big stink about it and refuse to pick the car up unless it came with 5.6 (which is what all the loaner cars are - the loaner cars aren't being upgraded to 5.8 AFAIK). So I would make a big deal about it. They'll probably come back and say it already has 5.8 and they can't downgrade, but I'll call BS on that any day and still refuse it unless it has 5.6 or 5.9+ to get your smart air suspension. If you make a big stink and cause them a huge headache, they'll probably cave in and fix it for ya, so I'd stand my ground. my 2c

I don't understand the reason for making such a big deal about this. IMO Tesla has treated us fairly/honestly heretofore, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. There was probably some lawyerly reason that they did not include the suspension change in the 5.8 release notes, and Elon's blog post 3 days later promised to make it user selectable in January. I've seen no credible posts that the car handles differently on 5.8, or achieves worse wh/mi. So let's all take a chill pill.

I'm picking my car up tomorrow and my excitement is increasing by the hour.

I'm glad it will have 5.8. The smoother regen curve sounds great, as I was not a fan of the abruptness during my test drive. The other improvements also sound good to me.

Obviously I don't care about the right height changes, since I went with the coil suspension. But even if I did have air, given that user control will return in January, it would hardly diminish my enthusiasm.

I don't understand the reason for making such a big deal about this...
...So let's all take a chill pill.

+1
Everybody just take it down a notch.

The Model S is a great car, I had a chance to drive a P85+ loaner, and I was very impressed (mine is a S85).
Once the OP drives his new car for 15 minutes, he will be able to certify what I already know: the Best Car on the road.

I originally refused the update, but it just accepted it, I decided that the benefits of the update outweigh the raise in suspension, and that the increased suspension height will reduce my chance of "plowing" snow on the freeway if I go through before the plows clear it.

I'm picking my car up tomorrow and my excitement is increasing by the hour.

I'm glad it will have 5.8. The smoother regen curve sounds great, as I was not a fan of the abruptness during my test drive. The other improvements also sound good to me.

Obviously I don't care about the right height changes, since I went with the coil suspension. But even if I did have air, given that user control will return in January, it would hardly diminish my enthusiasm.

the regen is an install bug. once you manually reboot the car, it's back to the good ol' regen that we expect.

I'm with the "you won't even think about it as you drive away with a huge Tesla Grin" group. I've put a bunch of miles on mine since the change and it really is no big deal.

Yeah, you're gonna absolutely love the car. Some folks that have a lot of miles don't even notice a difference at high speeds. I do but I feel it's no big deal. You're simply gonna love the car, and in January when the update comes out you'll have a reason to love it even more.

My advice is: Don't make any stink. Enjoy the day as much as possible. It's a momentous occasion. When was the last time you picked up an all EV winner of Car Of The Year?

Let us know how much you love it. Pics too!