Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dulles Airport EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Dulles today, don't see a thread about it but they have free Chargepoint EV chargers in parking garage 2 (you just pay for parking). 30amp chargers, look to be about 10 spaces and 5 charge units or so. Very convenient covered parking near the walkway to the terminal.

pu5u3ehy.jpg
zamahaby.jpg
qede2a7u.jpg
u3u7ypyn.jpg
etujaqys.jpg
enara5yb.jpg

The charge point units have been there for ~2 years. I fly through IAD frequently but have never parked in those spots. I live within 10 miles of the airport and with a 85kWh battery I don't need the range. I've flown out on a Monday and returned on a Saturday and the same cars are still parked there. I am still of the opinion that 50 120V outlets would serve the airport and us better than 8 charge point stations in the daily lot. Probably cost about the same.

Put the charge point units in the hourly parking for the volts and leafs.

Andrew

Excellent, thanks for the info. And they tow! great!

PZ: true, don't know why its so hard, we just have to keep hammering on them.
CS: You can get 80/60 amps at Tysons mall and do a little shopping. Prob not convenient but FYI. And I have 70 amps. You can pretty easily do round trip from C'Ville right? Have a good trip.

Just got an email from MWAA that they are investigating options to expand charging options in the parking garages. I mentioned the need for 120v outlets and they indicated they were leaning in that direction. Suggest filling out the comment form : Contact Us to provide your opinions. Yes, that is my very very dirty brown model s parked there for the next few days..

Restarting this thread as I really appreciate having these chargers, but when I took the last available spot this morning 3 EVs were parked and not plugged in and 1 spot was ICE'd. Please do not park here if you are not charging. Someone else may need the charge. Also on the app it looks like there are open spots if you are not plugged in. Remember there are 110 outlets under the cover. There was a Tesla parked there not plugged in, you know who you are, I will respect your privacy by not posting your license plate, but I am very tempted.

Yeah, I saw that last week as well... Also It feels like we are eventually going to need a policy for pure EV (TESLA, LEAF, etc) /vs/ Volt, and other plug-in hybrids.

Contact info for MWAA EV program is : [email protected] He is open for comments.

This will be an increasing issue for us on the east coast, hopefully lessened by the installation of more chargers. The relative scarcity of EV's here has meant a near certainty that a charger will be unused (ICE'ing excepted). I have now been EV'd at Alamo Cinema in Ashburn and Whole Foods in Virginia Beach. Often these are plug-in hybrid's who depend less on the charge to get by. I'm a big advocate for leaving a sign with contact information on the dash for someone who shows up and really needs a charge as opposed to someone who just likes the idea of having their own special parking spot.

Do the 110 outlets have J1772? Or do you have to bring your UMC? Given what I have learned on the forum about the connector's lifespan, I would rather not have to bring it with me, or risk its getting stolen.

The chargepoint chargers only have one J1772 cord, but have a cover on the stand that you can open and plug your UMC into (a110volt outlet) and the cover closes and locks the UMC plug in place (so it can't be stolen).

So I was in a hurry this morning, but am seriously unimpressed with the chargers at Dulles. First, some but not all of the chargers have two heads, meaning that there are fewer chargers than spots--which is dumb.

Second, apparently you need a ChargePoint card to unlock the charger? Even though the charge is free? That's asinine, especially since ChargePointt refuses to send me a card--it's been nearly 3 months since I registered and still nothing.

Maybe you can call a number to have it unlocked even without a card? I don't know and didn't have time to screw around with it.

Sure would be nice to just have some regular 120V plugs.

Finally, if you drive a Volt or Prius, I'm sorry, but it's a dick move to park in a charging spot at the airport. Burn some gas on the way home and leave the spot for someone that can't get home without juice.

The chargepoint chargers only have one J1772 cord, but have a cover on the stand that you can open and plug your UMC into (a110volt outlet) and the cover closes and locks the UMC plug in place (so it can't be stolen).

Do they? Couldn't get the covers to open. Maybe you need a ChargePoint card for that, too? So frigging irritating.

Hope the vampire doesn't steal too much while I'm gone.