Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many speeding tickets since getting your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."

None. Knock on wood, and many other substances. I try not to speed more than anyone else does, but I do tend to accelerate quickly.

One advantage of Tesla is there's no "sound and fury" when you punch it. Cops tend to focus on the sound, because normal cars make lots of it when you're being stupid...

I've only gotten a couple of speeding tickets over the years--one was just a couple of years ago!--but none since I got the S. Which is, frankly, astounding. I'm starting to feel like I'm living on borrowed time; it's such a smooth, quiet ride, and I'm such an impatient, guy, I speed more than I should. I've started paying a bit more attention to that. Really, the acceleration is the amazing thing (any car can drive high speeds), so I'm trying to accelerate more, but speed less. ;-) Whether this'll work....

I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."
Did you invite him to a dragstrip (or some other legal location)? Those numbers are close to Tesla's official numbers. I'd kind of like to see that video. Especially if that Caprice has police markings.

- - - Updated - - -

because normal cars make lots of it when you're being stupid...
This is a good point. In the "things you had to get used to when switching to a Tesla", there's no "idiot warning" like in my previous cars.

This is a good point. In the "things you had to get used to when switching to a Tesla", there's no "idiot warning" like in my previous cars.
That's the reason why I said "surprisingly" about my "zero tickets". Even after more than 6000 miles in my Tesla the lack of audio feedback to suddenly being way north of the speed limit keeps catching me off guard.
I love that about the car. And I'm surprised that I haven't paid the price for it, yet. But my "typical" freeway speed in the Tesla is definitely higher than it was in my BMW.

I had enough speeding tickets for everyone on this forum by the time I was 18... straight, flat FL roads , an old school muscle car along with a serious competitive streak and a desire to prove girls can race cars too were more than the local cops could ignore.

Zero in my Tesla. I feel invincible, but I'm working on lowering my lifetime average wh/mi so I think those days are behind me. Most of the time (I'm also trying to act like a grownup).