Thread: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (SURFBOARD) on a Tesla Model S?

Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (SURFBOARD) on a Tesla Model S?

Okay, this may seem frivolous to you, but it is a deal breaker for me: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (surfboard) on a Tesla Model S? Does Tesla sell an accessory that allows you to carry a surfboard on the roof? Help!

I've seen some roof racks posted, not sure there's anything official but believe there are ones that fit. That's likely your only option without driving with the hatch up.
    P85 Black/Black/Pano/Obeche Flat/Tech/Sound/Air/21" Silver/Twin/HPWC -- Delivery Window Feb 28-Mar 14
    Deposit 11/13/2012 Finalized 1/11/13 Pre-MVPA Signed 1/11/13 Delivery Info Requested 1/28/13
    DELIVERED MARCH 7, 2013

Items for Sale
    Yakima makes a roof rack that fits the Model S. You can buy it on their site (use 2012 for the model year, some kind of glitch on their website). You must buy the Pano Roof, because it's the only way to get the roof rack mount points.
    P85 - Multicoat Red, October Tech, Pano, UHFS, Parking, Carbon Fiber, Textile, Coil, 19"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Otterholt View Post
    Okay, this may seem frivolous to you, but it is a deal breaker for me: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (surfboard) on a Tesla Model S? Does Tesla sell an accessory that allows you to carry a surfboard on the roof? Help!
    If you're getting a pano roof, use the mount points for a Yakima (these will fit) or Thule (not sure) set of bars. If you go for a solid roof, the rack linked below really does work; they also have them for bikes and wider bars for paddle boards.

Surfboard Rack | SeaSucker
    P1,491 - 85 kWh - multi-coat red, tan interior, obeche matte, black roof - air suspension, tech package - 19" wheels

Thule has some surfboard specific racks that fit on their crossbars. you would need to ask Thule about the right mounting bracket for the MS.
    TMC has a thread for roof racks that you may want to go through.

85 kWh Silver Tesla Model S, Panoramic Roof, 21" Silver Wheels, Int: Black Leather with (Gloss) Obeche Wood and CCI, Pkgs: Tech, Sound Studio, Air, Parcel Shelf, Twin Chargers

Items for Sale
    This kinda needs to be in the "Technical" forum, but as others have suggested, get some roof rails if you've got the pano roof. If not, have it stick out the front passenger window
    2013 S85 | Vintage Green | Pano | Tech | Park Sensors | Jump Seats | Air Suspension | Delivered 12/3/2013
    2014 Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Otterholt View Post
    That will fit in the car!

(Maybe without a passenger in the front though)
    curious now...I've fit 11' stuff + a surfboard(with seats up) but never a longboard. I think I only have an 8' something, will check.
    - Joules 12/1/12 - Classic P85 - Grey&Lace #369 Zextraterrestials S(tory)

I wonder if the front passenger seat would recline enough to give you a flat surface from front to back? My other car (Pontiac Vibe) can fold the passenger seatback completely flat in the forward direction, and with the rear seats folded flat, you have a fairly long deck on one side of the car for a ladder or something similar.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    I wonder if the front passenger seat would recline enough to give you a flat surface from front to back? My other car (Pontiac Vibe) can fold the passenger seatback completely flat in the forward direction, and with the rear seats folded flat, you have a fairly long deck on one side of the car for a ladder or something similar.
    It does. My 11'2" board hung out the rear by about 6" when I reclined the front seat and folded down the rear seats. So a 9'6" should fit in the car. Otherwise roof rack with panoramic roof is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkam View Post
    It does. My 11'2" board hung out the rear by about 6" when I reclined the front seat and folded down the rear seats. So a 9'6" should fit in the car. Otherwise roof rack with panoramic roof is the way to go.
    Has anyone actually tested this theory? I'd love to know if my 10' and 9'6" boards would fit INSIDE...

Thread Information