Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (SURFBOARD) on a Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yakima makes a roof rack that fits the Model S. You can buy it on their site (use 2012 for the model year, some kind of glitch on their website). You must buy the Pano Roof, because it's the only way to get the roof rack mount points.

Okay, this may seem frivolous to you, but it is a deal breaker for me: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (surfboard) on a Tesla Model S? Does Tesla sell an accessory that allows you to carry a surfboard on the roof? Help!

If you're getting a pano roof, use the mount points for a Yakima (these will fit) or Thule (not sure) set of bars. If you go for a solid roof, the rack linked below really does work; they also have them for bikes and wider bars for paddle boards.

Surfboard Rack | SeaSucker

Okay, this may seem frivolous to you, but it is a deal breaker for me: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (surfboard) on a Tesla Model S? Does Tesla sell an accessory that allows you to carry a surfboard on the roof? Help!

That will fit in the car!

(Maybe without a passenger in the front though)
curious now...I've fit 11' stuff + a surfboard(with seats up) but never a longboard. I think I only have an 8' something, will check.

I wonder if the front passenger seat would recline enough to give you a flat surface from front to back? My other car (Pontiac Vibe) can fold the passenger seatback completely flat in the forward direction, and with the rear seats folded flat, you have a fairly long deck on one side of the car for a ladder or something similar.

I wonder if the front passenger seat would recline enough to give you a flat surface from front to back? My other car (Pontiac Vibe) can fold the passenger seatback completely flat in the forward direction, and with the rear seats folded flat, you have a fairly long deck on one side of the car for a ladder or something similar.

It does. My 11'2" board hung out the rear by about 6" when I reclined the front seat and folded down the rear seats. So a 9'6" should fit in the car. Otherwise roof rack with panoramic roof is the way to go.

Hi Lee! I really didn't want to put any roof rack on my car... And discovered that I could easily fit a 8'4" board with the seats down. I think there's roughly a foot more length that could be accommodated (given your 9'6" board). Good luck!
image.jpeg

Reactions: caltechkid
I have been carrying my 10'-2" longboard inside weekly for 3 years now. It works great as long as you are alone, and I sometimes carry the board all day long with me while running errands. It only fits one way though. The passenger seat must be all the way back raised up with the seat back reclined until it hits the folded rear seat. Put a towel over the headrest to protect it. The board must be upside down (unlike the photo above) preferably with a tri fin. If you have a large single fin protect the tip of it so it will not hit the back window glass. Tilt the board away from the driver (unlike the photo above) so that you can easily see the side view mirror. Warning: be careful of braking the front windshield. Your board will be only an inch or three away and a quick stop will break the windshield with just a slight tap. After breaking mine I bought a board bag with a padded nose and have had no further problems. I would say the maximum board that will fit is around 10-4. You may get a passenger in with a 9-6 although the board will be more vertical and you will not be able to see the side mirror.