Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mishawaka/South Bend IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(mod note: Tesla announced official openings for the Mishawaka, IN and St. Joseph, MI Superchargers for December 11th, see details in this thread)

Mishawaka IN (South Bend) will have a supercharger very soon. The power company just needs to plant a pole and run the wire to power the six stalls. Five of these are back in parking. They are located in the southeast corner of the University Park indoor shopping mall parking lot, near Barnes and Noble.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fantastic news!

I was just about to post a new thread asking if anyone can keep an eye out for activity in Mishawaka when I found your posting. You didn't mention anything in our PM conversation earlier in the week, so I guess you only found out about it within the past day or two?

Now, the next spot to watch out for is Angola/Fremont IN.

Mishawaka IN (South Bend) will have a supercharger very soon. The power company just needs to plant a pole and run the wire to power the six stalls. Five of these are back in parking. They are located in the southeast corner of the University Park indoor shopping mall parking lot, near Barnes and Noble.

Awesome! So are the frames of the charging bays already up? What is the status of the construction?

The power company needs to plant a pole and string a wire. Unfortunately we had severe weather last week with Tornados and a few deaths. Thus they may be delayed from their original plug in date next week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,100
Very excited about this. I drive from Chicago to Grand Rapids, MI (a little over 200 miles) fairly often and could really use a SC along the way. I wonder if it will be ready by this weekend for a Thanksgiving drive. I was looking for one in Benton Harbor, MI, but this way works OK for the trip, too, though it takes me about 30 miles out of my way. According to Google Maps, there isn't an exit from I-80/90 very close to University Park. It requires a few of miles of driving on Cleveland Rd parallel to the highway in either direction.

I was looking for one in Benton Harbor, MI, but this way works OK for the trip, too, though it takes me about 30 miles out of my way.

I too was expecting one in Benton Harbor (and one in Michigan City) based on Tesla's maps, but this will work for now. I only need to use it once per year (St Louis to Grand Haven), so the half-hour detour won't bother me much. There's also no reason they can't still add another station somewhere closer to our routes in due time.

Let's plan something when Mishawaka opens up. I am sure few folks from West MI may drive up. I am near Detroit though and have a 60 kWh. We can probably do an IN, IL and MI event. We can ask the moderator to put this thread as a sticky, so people are aware about the event.

Done! (I need to look at reorganizing/stickying some threads in this section, but it will have to wait till after this week...)

So who can get us an update on the power company activities? Are they still busy with storm cleanup and repair?

Is there an official opening ceremony? Would be cool to go for that. My route would go right through Indy Ryan. We could do a replay of Normal if you're up for chauffeur duties. We might even make it again depending on temps. Looks like a little over 200 miles from my garage.

I will drive by every day or two and report activity.
The installers said they were required to be out at the end of the day Monday so the power company could come in next. Typically the chargers are active before opening ceremonies occur. I will try to keep everyone informed.
My office is only a five minute walk from the superchargers.
This is at a mall with several places to eat plus a food court.
It is 13 minutes from the South Bend/ Notre Dame (exit 77)to the west or 10 minutes from the Mishawaka (exit 83) to the east off tollway I80/90.

I hope to see lots of Tesla grins. BTW this evening in the cold, dark someone pulled abreast and ask about the car! It doesn't stop.

Is there an official opening ceremony? Would be cool to go for that. My route would go right through Indy Ryan. We could do a replay of Normal if you're up for chauffeur duties. We might even make it again depending on temps. Looks like a little over 200 miles from my garage.
No published date for official opening yet. And you know I won't turn down a road-trip/chauffeur invite! :biggrin:

How many more SCs do you need Al before you could make it to your north Wisconsin destination?

No published date for official opening yet. And you know I won't turn down a road-trip/chauffeur invite! :biggrin:

How many more SCs do you need Al before you could make it to your north Wisconsin destination?

Cool. Let's keep an eye on the date and see if we can make the scheduling work out.

As far as Kismet (our Wisconsin place) we usually fly but I've been threatening a trip in the MS just for the adventure portion of it. Although me flying an airplane CAN be an adventure also.:smile:

I think I can make it once the Madison Supercharger opens. The only issue is after Madison. I'd definitely need to charge as I'd still have about 260 miles to go to just north of Mercer,WI. It's kind of a wasteland right now as far as I39/51North as far as charging. I'm sure I could find something. Not sure about charge speed though.

When Madison AND Eau Claire open I can definitely do it but the route is kind of roundabout. Especially the leg from Eau Claire to Mercer.

There does seem to be a dot on the Supercharger map about halfway from Madison to Mercer which appears to be along Highway 51 which would be ideal. At that point I could definitely do it and could choose between Normal and Mishawaka as far as the initial route. Looks as though Mishawaka would be shorter but I'd be dealing with Chicago traffic.

I'd love to know what the actual location (town) of that mystery dot due north of Madison is.