Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MS yesterday. Wonderful machine, so far none of the dreaded issues that have been reported on the forums.

However, I can't get the Homelink feature to work for either my garage door or gate. The MS reports that it successfully captures the codes for both things. Both Homelink commands are shown green in the Homelink menu and, when pressed, apparently playback the code. But neither my garage door or gate responds.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks!

Lloyd nailed it. Read the garage door owners manual to find out how to put it in learn mode. Other things that have helped:

1. Fresh batteries in the garage door opener.

2. Hold the garage door opener by the front of the car.

Originally I had a problem setting the Homelink for my gate, I had to put new batteries in the gate remote then open the frunk and when you go into the Homelink setting on the 17 inch screen touch program and then when it is learning the code hold your remote with the frunk open aiming into the back of the frunk until the headlights blink. Had to do this a few times to get it to work. Also there should be a learn button to depress on your garage door opener.

I have been playing with the Homelink feature this evening. The S has no problem recording the signal from the remote, ie the Homelink 'name' turns green.

I've the tried registering the S Homelink signal with the garage door opener, but no luck. I press the button on the door motor control unit, which then turns green. Repeatedly press the Homelink button on the S, but nothing happens - the motor control until doesn't seem to register a signal, even though the S graphics imply that its sending out the code.

I gather that other people have a similar problem, ie can capture the code, but replay doesn't work.

I suspect that I'm missing some knowledge about Homelink devices and how they work. Or I'm doing some wrong w.r.t. Registering the S's signal.

I know this sounds stupid ....

Make sure the antennae from the garage door control unit is hanging out and as straight as possible.
Park your car as close to the opener control head as possible. I have a two car garage and just parked in the next spot.
Open your windows and frunk ...

Try the connection process again.

Concur that it should work, it just takes several tries for the unit to "learn" the new transmitter.

Homelink has been a pain with every car I've had, and it's not the cars' fault. Check with your gate/garage door owner's manual for the "learn" feature as you'll probably have to press another button on the unit itself.

Just to be clear, some photos of the situation. In the first picture, the MS has recorded the code from the original transmitter (green names). In the second picture, the MS is sat right under the Lift-master unit (top of picture) in the garage.

The Lift-master is a Pro9000 unit. I can't find instructions for it anywhere on the net, but there's a green button that I assume is for linking a remote. When I press this green button, it remains lit for 30secs. If I then press the garage button in the MS (multiple time) during the 30secs, with the car as shown in the picture, nothing happens.

As I just mentioned, my installer says that is a rolling code problem. But if so, surely a lot more people would not be able to use Homelink with their MS?

Rob.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385482227.181669.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385482227.181669.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,465
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385482354.127997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385482354.127997.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,095
I checked with the company who installed our gate/garage door and they say that the units I have use a rolling code. They think that the Tesla only will work with a static code.

Could this be the problem?

Rob.

Homelink works with my rolling code units (liftmaster), but I have to follow exactly the liftmaster instructions for learning. Any deviation and you have to start all over was my experience.

I have been unsuccessful in programing Homelink with my garage door so don't feel bad. On all my other cars Homelink worked fine, but not with my Tesla. The road ranger also was unable to make it work, even after changing out the module in the front bumper. I have a twelve year old Chamberland/Raynor opener and it appears that Tesla does not have the necessary codes to communicate with it. I was told that it will have to be some sort of FW update fix in the future. I have resolved myself to accept this and just use the clicker until the unit breaks and I replace it with a Liftmaster. If anyone has some other idea on how to fix this, let me know.

I've had the gate/garage door installation guy round this afternoon and the conclusion is that we can't get Homelink to work. I have a NICE FLOR-S remote and receivers that use a rolling code. The Tesla seems to record the NICE transmitter just fine. But if we put the receiver into learn mode it gives an error (2 led flashes) when the Tesla transmits the recorded code.

Alas, the only solution seems to be to add parallel receivers that just work with the Tesla. The installation guy says € 150.- per unit. For € 300.- I think I'll stick to using the original remote. Shame really, it would be a nice feature if it worked.

According to Homelink's website, the Model S unit will go up to 433MHz. However, the remote I have for my gate is 433MHz and I can't get it to learn. I've tried holding it on the nosecone, pushing the button while the remote is in the frunk and it still won't learn it. I've got the garage door learned very quickly.

I think I'm going to procure another RF option to make this work.

I have had Signature Model S car for over 12 months and Homelink always worked fine. Lost electricity at house last week during storm for few hours, when came back on the garage door opener did not work. Reprogrammed so works but Homelink connection did not work, and have not been able to get it connected again despite following directions in Manual. Have tried with frunk open and no luck. Garage door opener otherwise works fine, have affixed the remote on visor in car so able to remotely open garage door from car, so not a big deal.

Last edited:
I have a Hörmann garage door opener, Supramatic , new from 2012. It uses Homelink. I've had no problem teaching the car the signal, but no luck in getting the car to open the door, or getting the opener to learn the signal from the car. My impression is that my car is not transmitting a signal at all. Seems very similar to other peoples issue on this thread. I think it may be a software problem. Is there any way to study whether the car actually transmits anything at all?

I have a Novoferm garage door. That Homelink crap is driving me nuts. It takes at least 4 or 5 attempt for it record the transmitter. Once it's finally ok and I try to open the door, it does not work...
The funniest thing is that when it fails (says it didn't detect the signal) and I push the retry button... It opens the door!!! it's crazy !!!!

Homelink works with my rolling code units (liftmaster), but I have to follow exactly the liftmaster instructions for learning. Any deviation and you have to start all over was my experience.

Ditto. Rolling codes do work.

I have found that setting up Homelink works better when the car is not too close to the unit; try about 10-20' back from the garage entrance.

Also note that there is one recent report of Homelink not working properly when the bulb inside the Liftmaster was changed to LED.