Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas stations are dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently... the first video with the tire... happened in the Czech Republic and the guy was okay except for some bad bruises.

Heard it through the grape vine!

And I'm sure you've heard that women are way more likely to end up in a gas station fire?? Apparently it's because they get in and out of the car when the car is filling up, causing more static which sparks when they then take out the nozzle.

No video but fits the topic.

Fatal Car Fire In Cumberland County Ruled Accidental

Investigators have determined that Friday morning's fatal car fire in Cumberland County was accidental, started by static electricity.

The coroner said Luther Byers, 19, of Camp Hill, died from inhaling super-heated gases from the flash fire.

Police said surveillance video shows Byers in the blue Toyota Corolla entering the BP station in Lower Allen Township at about 3 a.m. Friday, then getting out to fill his tank.

Police Chief Frank Williamson said investigators know that Byers was not smoking and was not using a cell phone, but they remain unsure of what went wrong.

"The vapors from gasoline are what burned. The vapors are given off every time you fuel your vehicle. Somewhere along the line as he was fueling the vehicle there was a static electric discharge that ignited the vapors," Williamson said.

22753445_640X480.jpg

I love this thread. :redface:

On a related note, Chelsea Sexton says the are over 250,000 gasoline fires I don't have a linkable page from the DOT yet but it's a nice stat to pull out when EV safety is the subject.

Last edited:
These are some real good videos i wont be using my phone again at the gas stations thats for sure, Does anyone know why phones make fires though?

I was told once that it was more often than not dropt phones sparking as batteries fall out or get stood on. I think it's more likely for the same reason as airlines ask you to turn of electrical equipment during take off and landing... So you'll pay more attention to the job at hand.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36969158/ns/us_news-life/
updated 12:41 p.m. PT, Wed., May 5, 2010
SAN ANTONIO - An 18-wheeler being loaded with fuel at a San Antonio refinery exploded Wednesday, setting off a chain reaction of smaller explosions and sending a towering plume of thick black smoke over the city's southeast side. One person was critically burned, and the driver of the exploding truck remained missing.