Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

compatibility question: 2.0 roadster (with single DIN radio) and iPhone 5s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i looked at a couple of older threads about 2.5 roadster compatibility but did not get a clear sense of what worked and what did not work.

can someone tell me if i replace the original 30-pin cable that came with my roadster with the newer lightning connector cable, which (if any) of the following will function:

• charging the iPhone 5s?
  • wired audio to the alpine singeDIN head unit? (as opposed to bluetooth which i presume will not be impacted either way)
  • other functions/controls for playing and displaying music tracks?
i mostly care about the charging but am curious about the rest.

i apologize if this is already covered in another thread that i failed to locate.

thanks!

I replaced my head unit at the same time, but if you are plugging the new lightning cable directly into a USB port on the head unit then you should have no problems theoretically.

If you simply use an adapter then it will be a different story.

I used one of those lighting to dock connector adapters with the JVC. The head unit recognized the songs but would not charge. I just use bluetooth and use the accessory outlet when I need to charge.

jbadger, is there an open USB slot on the JVC to hook plug in a lighting cable for charging? Also, was it you who was going to add an in-dash iPad mini? If so, I would love some details on that, as I would try to do the same thing.

jbadger, is there an open USB slot on the JVC to hook plug in a lighting cable for charging?
I'm not sure, the owner before me installed a junk no-name radio so it had to come out.

Also, was it you who was going to add an in-dash iPad mini? If so, I would love some details on that, as I would try to do the same thing.
Yes, it was I who was talking about doing it. I plan on making a CF enclosure and my goal is to make it easily removable. Still in the planning stages, need to find more time.

Also, I tried to buy a spare plastic airbag cover from Tesla to use as my mold but they wanted $283 for it. I'll pass and figure out another way to get the curvature to match.