Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re wiring for Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, is there a minimum height requirement above the service panel for the wire to cross over the stud to go to the outlet? (see diagram) Thanks.

wiring question.jpg

National Electric code doesn't have any such requirement. Not sure if California specifically does, but I don't know why they would as it wouldn't make it any safer and these rules are generally written in the name of safety. The only rule I know of that would be applicable is if you are more less than 1 1/4" from the face of the stud, you need a nail plate to ensure that a nail/screw doesn't go into the wire.

Had an electrician out yesterday to start provisioning my garage for my MS (delivery 12/21 yay!), and he was taking note of where the natural gas lines are - he is putting in a second panel and a separate meter to qualify me for my local utility's time-metered EV rate ($0.06/KW). Code requires specific separation from the gas line. Don't know if this affects you but might be something to pay attention to.

oooh, congrats jamieb ! My delivery date is January 23 ! =) Guess at least the 2 of us has will be having one of the best Christmas gifts ever.

Thanks for the heads up on the gas line. Luckily my gas line is below & a few feet away from my meter, but I'll definitely double check. Thanks.