Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated versus Ideal versus Autobahn Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sublimaze1

8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins
Sep 6, 2012
Basin City, TX
With the final piece of the Texas Triangle (Huntsville) operational, range anxiety is much less, and I can drive true "Texas" speeds.

However, has anyone taken the time to look at the range when you are hooning along at 85-90 mph (e.g. SH130) and the like? I have done three or four runs between superchargers at police attention speed and my initial figures show that I am getting about 74% of the rated range at those speeds.

(I certainly realize that Airconditioning, headwings, etc. factor into this)

I guess what I am saying, is ... If I plan to drive the way I would in the ICE (BTW, Diana traded the Armada for an Escalade - V8 for V8), I am looking at charging to 125+% of the range that I would need to get there, if I keep my speed as high as I would like.

So my query is: what supercharger charge are you willing to take (percentage of actual distance) to get to your destination, if you know you are going to be moving along at much faster than 55-65?

Thoughts?

The superchargers in Germany are going to be much closer for exactly the reason you mention. I live in the Netherlands, and even through we don't speed along quite like the Germans, 85 to 90 mph isn't unusual. My worst-case projected range, as shown on the energy display, drops down to just over 100 miles... Fortunately, IF I were able to keep that speed, I would have driven through the entire country ;)

Rene

However, has anyone taken the time to look at the range when you are hooning along at 85-90 mph (e.g. SH130) and the like? I have done three or four runs between superchargers at police attention speed and my initial figures show that I am getting about 74% of the rated range at those speeds.

(I certainly realize that Airconditioning, headwings, etc. factor into this)

I guess what I am saying, is ... If I plan to drive the way I would in the ICE (BTW, Diana traded the Armada for an Escalade - V8 for V8), I am looking at charging to 125+% of the range that I would need to get there, if I keep my speed as high as I would like.

Thoughts?

~60% rated range @90-95mph

vupazanu.jpg

Last edited: