Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

George Blankenship Retires from Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is George B?

Hi all,
back in April Jerome Guillen was made VP of worldwide sales and service. Unless I am mistaken, this was George's role before April. I haven't heard about George's whereabouts since then. I am curious if he has a new role in the company or what the story is. I felt his expertise developing the retail store network was a key differentiator for Tesla at an important time, but now wonder if his job has changed and if so what he's up to. Or of perhaps his role has narrowed down to focus on store rollouts only rather than a Group Head role that his title seemed to convey previously.

I believe in April, George's title changed to Vice President of Worldwide Retail. I heard somewhere on the TMC forum that George has been very active in China, and may be quite busy getting things set up over there.

He is here!

wheresgeorge1.jpg

:D

In case anyone missed the news about half an hour ago (and the respective stock dip at the same time):

Exclusive: Top Tesla executive George Blankenship, VP of Sales, departs | SiliconBeat...

"George Blankenship, the Tesla executive and marketing maven who led the company’s retail operations and showroom expansions, is no longer with the Palo Alto-based company, according to a source with first-hand knowledge of his departure. When reached for comment, Blankenship, 60, said by e-mail that he was retiring to spend more time with his family, including four grandchildren.

"Blankenship is still listed as Vice President, Sales & Ownership Experience on Tesla’s website. But his LinkedIn profile now says he is “Director of Smiles for the Blankenship Family” and he apparently left Tesla a few weeks ago..."

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this from his Linkedin profile:

Vice President

Tesla Motors
July 2010 – October 2013 (3 years 4 months)WorldwideJuly 2010 thru September 2010 -- VP Store Design & Development

October 2010 thru March 2013 -- VP Worldwide Sales & Ownership Experience

April 2013 thru October 2013 -- VP Worldwide Retail

November 2013 -- Done at Tesla

"Done at Tesla"??? is it just mean or does that have negative undertones? Seems a bit strange...

He is just saying that from November on, he is done at Tesla. His work is done. He can now retire. The dashes "--" after November 2013 simply show that he has no plans to seek further employment since he has retired. I wouldn't read anything more into his words. He has been instrumental at Tesla and has done a lot to make this brand successful. I think recent events have made us a little jumpy and possibly on high alert for all things negative. I see his words as positive.