Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feds tighten crash test advertising rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hah....

Feds tighten crash test advertising rules - Businessweek

DETROIT (AP) — A U.S. safety agency is tightening the guidelines that control how automakers use government crash tests in advertising.

The change by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration likely is aimed at Tesla Motors. Tesla has promoted its electric Model S as the safest car in America, saying it earned a 5.4-star rating from the government.

The new guidelines say that the agency doesn't give ratings higher than five stars. The agency says automakers who claim ratings higher than five stars are misleading the public.

Companies that don't follow the guidelines could see "buyer alert" warnings from the government. They could also be kicked out of the ratings program or be referred to other agencies for further, unspecified action.

Oh, now isn't that just about as ironic as it gets. How about this instead: How about the NHTSA devise a more accurate scoring system and let manufacturers tell the ENTIRE truth about the cars they make? Huh? How about that? No, no, no, let's not do that. Let just keep using the antiquated system we have and put a muzzle on all those numbers the public doesn't get to see. *******!

Oh, now isn't that just about as ironic as it gets. How about this instead: How about the NHTSA devise a more accurate scoring system and let manufacturers tell the ENTIRE truth about the cars they make? Huh? How about that? No, no, no, let's not do that. Let just keep using the antiquated system we have and put a muzzle on all those numbers the public doesn't get to see. *******!

Well how many manufacturers would be able to claim above 5 stars to begin with? Additionally, how much of the public want more than a simple overview system? How many even know that there's stars in every category and an overall?

I'd argue not many to both, which means the system in place has been pretty good for the current needs and target audience.

Tesla made up a number not in their system. They could have said it scored above and beyond or that "if the rankings went any higher we would have gotten X". They've always been pretty loose with their statements (lease pricing anyone?) and they got slapped for it.

Let's not make excuses for them.

Most likely NHTSA is getting hassled by annoyed ICE competitors. Not sure I would blame them, to be honest. Manufacturers rightfully expect equal treatment and that everyone go by the same rules.

NHTSA is already sensitized enough to make a disclaimer that they were requested by Tesla to start a fire investigation. Sounds like Tesla is getting to be a bit of a sore spot with them. That strikes me as a bad idea.

Tout the car as 5-star. State your reasons why you think it qualifies as the safest ever - talk about how individual tests exceeded the standard if you like. But don't claim a nonexistent 5.4 rating.

Well how many manufacturers would be able to claim above 5 stars to begin with? Additionally, how much of the public want more than a simple overview system? How many even know that there's stars in every category and an overall?

Clearly one company, who's trying to change the entire industry and related industries would. :)

I don't know how much of the public want more than a simple overview system. Haven't bothered to ask anyone. But I don't assume that a) they're too stupid to understand something more comprehensive than *'s, or b) that given a choice they wouldn't want to know more. Maybe I'll start by asking parents?

I'd argue not many to both, which means the system in place has been pretty good for the current needs and target audience.

It certainly does not mean the system in place is good for current needs and target audience. It just means nobody's questioned it. Lots of things in this world stay the same - dealership laws anyone - while the world around them changes, such that before you know it, they are outdated and everyone just says, 'Well, that's the way it's always been, so it must be fine.' What's the point of even telling manufacturers their cars scored higher than the highest score that can be given? If you're going to tell them that, then why can't they tell to the public?

Nobody's bothered to upset the NHTSA until this point and from statements made by Mr. Strickland it seems they don't like to be upset. But I'll remind Mr. Strickland they aren't above reproach and they are here to serve the public. Gagging a manufacturer from telling the whole story of the scoring a vehicle recieved is not, imo, serving the public. Perhaps a better approach would for the NHTSA to release all the numbers for every vehicle, rather than allowing the company to do it.

Tesla made up a number not in their system. They could have said it scored above and beyond or that "if the rankings went any higher we would have gotten X".

Actually, I think they did say just that.

I suspect Elon's writers and marketing department in general need to be told to 'reel it in' for a while since they keep putting the boss out in the open for being called out and fact-checked. The blog posts are pushing it as well.

An ever-increasing reputation as a "truth bender" is not needed right now.

Strickland (the head of NHTSA) said he had gotten into heated one-on-one arguments with Elon before, and I imagine argument about this was probably one of the main topics.

As for a point of subtly, Tesla never said the government gave then 5.4 stars directly (in fact they made it clear the NHTSA does not publish ratings above 5 stars), but that the government did give them a VSS number that equated to 5.4 stars. Everything else was paraphrasing by the media.

Direct quote here:
NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...hieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested

Note: don't poke the government in the eye even if you are right, they might just make an example of you

Exactly why they should be poked, especially if you're in the right. They are not an unquestionable entity. They are here to serve us, not serve themselves. *We*, the people, get to decide how much power we give them. Never forget it is people, just like you and me, in these organizations, and as the saying goes their - smells as bad as ours.

Error, line 1: Gender mismatch.

It's okay, I wasn't holding it against him. Much. :smile:

I am sorry, I have a cold ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Can this whole thing be paraphrased as:

Tesla got a 95%, which is an A grade
A bunch of others got low 90s%, which are also A grades
Tesla boasted that they got a higher percentage score than anyone else (but same grade)
Examiner says 'Hey! You are only supposed to quote grades, not percentage scores'

Or did I miss something? I thought Tesla did get a better score than the others, but just the same top grade bracket (five star)?

That said, if the NHTSA doesn't want people quoting things other than the number of stars, then they should tighten their disclosure regulations to control that. Isn't that what they just did? Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, and all that.

As to the subject of whether it is sensible to antagonise the government agency supervising you, that does sound scary. From Mr Strickland's recent comments, it sounds like the working relationship between him and Elon is strained at best.

That said, if the NHTSA doesn't want people quoting things other than the number of stars, then they should tighten their disclosure regulations to control that. Isn't that what they just did? Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, and all that.
This is exactly what happened. After Tesla's blog post the NHTSA issued a statement that essentially said Tesla shouldn't be doing that and that they are upset about it, but there's really no rule preventing Tesla from doing so. Now after the fact they make such a rule so Tesla can't do it again in the future.

I suspect Elon's writers and marketing department in general need to be told to 'reel it in' for a while since they keep putting the boss out in the open for being called out and fact-checked. The blog posts are pushing it as well.

An ever-increasing reputation as a "truth bender" is not needed right now.

+1

Rule #1 is to protect the boss's credibility

This is exactly what happened. After Tesla's blog post the NHTSA issued a statement that essentially said Tesla shouldn't be doing that and that they are upset about it, but there's really no rule preventing Tesla from doing so. Now after the fact they make such a rule so Tesla can't do it again in the future.

So next time instead of saying "model S scored higher than any other vehicle" they should say "the model a receive a 95% score and no other vehicle has ever scored above 90% before" and leave it at that. Just post the fact and let the media post that it's the highest score ever awarded.

The whole thing is ridiculous. You know the only reason this discussion ever happened was because the manufacturers of those 90% cars cried and whined like babies back to the NHSTA. They are all scared Tesla's gonna render both their cars and business models obsolete and they will act like little children instead of accepting defeat. This is the world we live in today where they don't know what responsibility and hard work is like. Bitch and moan and whine and cry like little babies and suck up and ass kiss to get your way. These teenage brats may now be adults in age and run companies now but they still act like little children. If they were to just spend their time doing some real R&D maybe they'll invent something good enough to keep there company afloat once genIII comes out. At least BMW is trying with the i3 whereas all the other ones are throwing together stupid compliance cars that nobody actually wants.