Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You know Tesla has had a bad public relations week when....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning on my way into work, I was at a red light where two guys are always camped out selling newspapers. The looked at my car, giving my a thumbs-up of approval. Then approached the driver's side window. I rolled it down, and he said, "Is this one of those electric cars I saw on the news that's always catching fire?"

Lord, I hate how the media makes a scandal out of a non-scandal....

Last edited:
It is funny and frustrating. at work people were oohh-ing and ahhh-ing over the fact that I got the MS, and sending me kudos on the safety rating of the car when those results came out. Now they all come up to me and ask if my car has caught fire yet. :cursing:

It is funny and frustrating. at work people were oohh-ing and ahhh-ing over the fact that I got the MS, and sending me kudos on the safety rating of the car when those results came out. Now they all come up to me and ask if my car has caught fire yet. :cursing:

Just ask them what kind of a car they drive, then later in the day after you've Googled the fire stats of that particular make and model run into their office all horrified and ask them if they're all right. Then drop the stats on their desk.

I've had 4 people at work this week ask me about the fire thing. One caught me after a particularly bad meeting. Let's just say I was a little shorter than I should have been. It's just hard to lay down the facts without coming across as overbearing. There is just such a huge difference in levels of knowledge on the issue. I had one person who thought there was a recall. One who didn't know they were the result of a collision. One who was very well informed and thought of it as a non issue. And another who insisted it was a design flaw. Anyways, it's getting old, and it's only Wednesday.

I find humor is the best response if they're just trying to get a rise out of me … "yup, it's just like every other car on the road." In other words, nothing to see here, move along. If someone wants to have a serious conversation then I'll take the time to explain.

I find humor is the best response if they're just trying to get a rise out of me … "yup, it's just like every other car on the road." In other words, nothing to see here, move along. If someone wants to have a serious conversation then I'll take the time to explain.

You could put a stick and some marshmallows in your frunk and pull them out; "Dude! I'm prepared, don't you worry about me."

My fiancee likes to say "Technically, when they're running, gasoline cars are always on fire."

ROFLMAO! I knew I liked her. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I've had 4 people at work this week ask me about the fire thing. One caught me after a particularly bad meeting. Let's just say I was a little shorter than I should have been. It's just hard to lay down the facts without coming across as overbearing. There is just such a huge difference in levels of knowledge on the issue. I had one person who thought there was a recall. One who didn't know they were the result of a collision. One who was very well informed and thought of it as a non issue. And another who insisted it was a design flaw. Anyways, it's getting old, and it's only Wednesday.

Yeah, I'm not great at this either. Someone asked me about it and I was a bit snarky. And it turned out he didn't know that there had only been 2 (3 if you're feeling uncharitable; I still don't count running into a wall at 80 MPG or whatever the hell the idiot in Mexico did)...he'd thought there had been lots. :rolleyes:

My other half's mom said something about being worried to me, but apparently she misunderstood something on the news yesterday and thought that there had been another one. I wasn't on the phone with her (I heard about this later; I think I was asleep or in another state when they talked) but I think my other half just reassured her...but he thought she was right and there'd been a new fire. I did quick searches to make sure and was like "uh, no...."