Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know Tesla has had a bad public relations week when....

You know Tesla has had a bad public relations week when....

This morning on my way into work, I was at a red light where two guys are always camped out selling newspapers. The looked at my car, giving my a thumbs-up of approval. Then approached the driver's side window. I rolled it down, and he said, "Is this one of those electric cars I saw on the news that's always catching fire?"

Lord, I hate how the media makes a scandal out of a non-scandal....
    S85 Grey/Grey, Gloss Obeche, Tech, Sound Studio, Parking Sensors, Air Suspension, Panoroof -- Order placed 9/1/13 -- Delivery set for 10/21/13

Happy Model S Owner
    My fiancee likes to say "Technically, when they're running, gasoline cars are always on fire."
    I take "Electro", my amazing Model S, to the train station: yes, it's a station wagon

My suggestion:

Ask them how many fires there were in gasoline and diesel vehicles in the US in 2012.

Ask them to guess.

Then tell them that about 172,500 highway vehicle fires occurred in the US in 2012.

Finish off by saying that unfortunately all cars can burn – even electric ones.

So, just learn those two numbers: 172,500 and 2012…

Source:

National Fire Protection Association | nfpa.org | Fires in the United States During 2012 Fact Sheet | FireLossFacts.pdf
    Last edited by SwedishAdvocate; 2013-11-20 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Polished the hyperlink...

It is funny and frustrating. at work people were oohh-ing and ahhh-ing over the fact that I got the MS, and sending me kudos on the safety rating of the car when those results came out. Now they all come up to me and ask if my car has caught fire yet.
    Organizer of the OC Tesla Meets | #18895 | 60kWh | Black | Textile | SC | Active Air |Tech Pkg | 19" | Pano roof | Std Sound |
    Deposit 2/5/2013 | pMVPA 2/25/2013 | Delivery Button 4/1/2013 | Delivery Window 4/10 - 4/24 | VIN 08318 | Delivered 4/20

Items for Sale
    Widespread publicity is a double-edged sword, that's true. I'm sure it was fun when all the accolades were pouring in. The fire stuff, not so much.
    P85 - Multicoat Red, October Tech, Pano, UHFS, Parking, Carbon Fiber, Textile, Coil, 19"

Quote Originally Posted by Apoclyps View Post
    It is funny and frustrating. at work people were oohh-ing and ahhh-ing over the fact that I got the MS, and sending me kudos on the safety rating of the car when those results came out. Now they all come up to me and ask if my car has caught fire yet.
    Just ask them what kind of a car they drive, then later in the day after you've Googled the fire stats of that particular make and model run into their office all horrified and ask them if they're all right. Then drop the stats on their desk.

In the end even bad press will be good for Tesla. People tend to forget why they know a brand. It will take some time, but it will help.

I've had 4 people at work this week ask me about the fire thing. One caught me after a particularly bad meeting. Let's just say I was a little shorter than I should have been. It's just hard to lay down the facts without coming across as overbearing. There is just such a huge difference in levels of knowledge on the issue. I had one person who thought there was a recall. One who didn't know they were the result of a collision. One who was very well informed and thought of it as a non issue. And another who insisted it was a design flaw. Anyways, it's getting old, and it's only Wednesday.

My co-worker was soo happy that there were some fires - now he owns stock!
    and would still love to get a gen3 (or an S or X if kids(or money) would allow!)

I only really heard snaky stuff from others after the first freeway fire.
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - 28550mi @ 368Whr/mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

I find humor is the best response if they're just trying to get a rise out of me … "yup, it's just like every other car on the road." In other words, nothing to see here, move along. If someone wants to have a serious conversation then I'll take the time to explain.
    P1,491 - 85 kWh - multi-coat red, tan interior, obeche matte, black roof - air suspension, tech package - 19" wheels

Thread Information