Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to ver 5.8 a couple days ago. I have aftermarket winter tires with TPMS from TireRack and tried to reset the vehicle to recognize the winter tire TPMS. No luck after several tries that included the recommended driving/time for the TPMS to be recognized.

Thoughts? Anyone else having this problem?

Someone needs to ask if the reset is programmed to reset and calibrate just the existing sensors, or if it is able to recognize NEW sensors.

The way I understand that they work, each sensor responds with a unique serial number and relative pressure reading. The recalibration may just reset the existing sensors to a new relative pressure. New sensors may need to still be reset by the service center to recognize a new set of sensors.

Last edited:
I installed a set of Tesla 19" wheels with winter tires a week ago and was enjoying the TPMS errors for the last while. I did the TPMS reset as soon as 5.8 was installed and it worked like a charm. These were OEM Tesla wheels with sensors that had not been 'tuned' to the vehicle before. ( I.E the wheels had never been installed before )

Are aftermarket and OEM TPMS sensors different?

Someone needs to ask if the reset is programmed to reset and calibrate just the existing sensors, or if it is able to recognize NEW sensors.

The way I understand that they work, each sensor responds with a unique serial number and relative pressure reading. The recalibration may just reset the existing sensors to a new relative pressure. New sensors may need to still be reset by the service center to recognize a new set of sensors.

It works with new sensors (Tire Rack installed). I had them on the 19" Rials I installed and after about 10 miles driving after reset it recognized them.

Don't think this system is this sophisticated, as it can't tell which tire is low. My Honda Ridgeline did work like this and had a display showing which tire was bad.

Sig #127 S000127 V5.8 21" (Clifford)

I had a a very low tire pressure Warning occur two days ago. Which disappeared after a short time (three seconds. or so) Just to be safe, I pulled over to verify I wasn't running on the rims. Everything seemed OK. So, I went down to the tire store and had the pressures checked. I reset the pressure sensors. I noticed a short time later all connectivity had been lost.

No more 3G and no more wifi. I tried resetting the system several times. Customer service could not locate my car over the 3G.
I pulled and replaced the two yellow fuses as instructed by the customer service team. Nothing. Customer service seemed to be genuinely surprised that this did not work also commented
that there should be some sort of service warning.

For now I don't know if the two events are related. Just thought I would post it here in case anyone else has had a similar experience. Service is scheduled for early December.
I was thinking about checking all the other fuses in the box. Does anyone know if this is dangerous in any way. Will I loose data in any of the systems?

Is it possible, that a low pressure sensor from a neighboring car could trigger a warning on another car?

Vic