Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since our owner's brand new Tesla Model S arrived at our headquarters, all of us "car guys" have been excited to find out how the car performed and what products we could get to improve it (if possible). While I haven't been handed the key just yet, our engineers have had time to carefully measure and develop 3D renderings of each wheel well and its suspension and braking components to help us develop guaranteed wheel (and wheel and tire) fitments for the car we know to work and perform perfectly. I have had the chance to speak with several Tesla owners in the last few months, and have been able to give them viable options for both "daily driver" wheels and tires, or dedicated snow tire and wheel packages (complete with the correct Tesla Tire Pressure Sensors) for when winter finally arrives.

It will be my pleasure to leverage the technical expertise and real world knowledge Tire Rack has accumulated over thirty years in the business to help members of this forum get just the right wheel, tire and other products needed to build on the amazing platform that is the Tesla S.

For reference, I've been with The Tire Rack for over eight years, and have had the opportunity to attend multiple driving schools across the country as well as utilize our own test track here all through the summers so I've had more than a little time outside the office and behind the wheel. With just a few exceptions, I've had a chance to drive on and test nearly every tire we sell as well as test various suspension and braking components to get a feel for what does what (and how well).

Feel free to send me an email ([email protected]) with any concerns or questions on your Tesla (or other cars in your stable), but keep in mind that most questions regarding your Tesla may benefit other forum members as well, so please post on the forum first if at all possible.

You can also check out our Upgrade Garage feature dedicated to the Model S at this link. Take advantage of our website to see how new wheels would look, or gain some insight from our Customer Survey results or Real World tests when considering new tires.

Thanks !

Tire Rack was already very helpful in getting me my winter tires (which are now on the car). I just swap them out on the same rims since it's much, much cheaper (it's very cheap to mount tires where I am).

Has the bug in the website been fixed so that tires are checked for compatible max psi rating before being listed as recommended? (Tire Rack helpfully dealt with this on the phone when I noticed this and replaced the tires I'd ordered, which had too low a max psi rating, with different tires at no extra shipping charge, since it was their mistake.)

Welcome, Doc! I just received my gunmetal Rial Luganos yesterday, they are being installed today. Tire Rack was superb throughout, as they have been for many sets of wheels and tires for me in the past. I get to try the new TPMS reset feature in the latest firmware update from Tesla, very excited.

Thanks, Doc and tirerack. This will be a very powerful partnership! I ordered my Rial and Dunlop Wintersports with Tirerack as well as several other tiresets on previous cars - the service and knowledge is second to none.

Two wishlist items:
- as noted above, an inflatable, light doughnut/spare tire for longer road trips
- more 20" staggered wheel options = less chance than the 21s of wheel damage and more choices in performance tires Also will give the added performance of a staggered setup to non-performance plus owners.

Thanks again!

I have been a very satisfied Tire Rack customer, probably for close to 25 years. One of the finest examples of customer service that i have even experienced was while I at school in Chicago I ordered a set of winter tires on steel wheels for my Volvo 245 with the plan of driving to Tire Rack in South Bend on Saturday morning to pick them up. When we arrived the fellow behind the counter realized that the steel wheels were out of stock. He excused himself to go to th "back" to "see what he could do". When he returned holding a beautiful alloy wheel my paranoid east coast thoughts went immediately to "bait and switch." I nearly fell over when he asked if I would "mind" taking a set of alloys, at the steel wheel price!

What blew mind even more was the number of times he and his colleague apologized for my trouble? Needless to say I have sourced every tire that I could, emergencies excepted, from them since, which is, admittedly, a lot of tires.

I certainly welcome them to TMC

Thanks to all ! We are excited to be a part of the forum !

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Doc and tirerack. This will be a very powerful partnership! I ordered my Rial and Dunlop Wintersports with Tirerack as well as several other tiresets on previous cars - the service and knowledge is second to none.

Two wishlist items:
- as noted above, an inflatable, light doughnut/spare tire for longer road trips
- more 20" staggered wheel options = less chance than the 21s of wheel damage and more choices in performance tires Also will give the added performance of a staggered setup to non-performance plus owners.

Thanks again!

The spare may be a tough one, but we hope to have more 19" and 21" options in the Spring when our new wheel models are announced !

Welcome, doc!

I can personally vouch for doc's expertise. Like for many others here, he helped me order the 19" gunmetal Rials (similar to the Tesla cyclone wheels) winter tire package that even the local Tesla sc was impressed with.

Thanks again, doc!

Thanks for the kind words, Steve..... our involvement with the forum has been in the works for some time, and I'm excited to move forward !

- - - Updated - - -

Tire Rack was already very helpful in getting me my winter tires (which are now on the car). I just swap them out on the same rims since it's much, much cheaper (it's very cheap to mount tires where I am).

Has the bug in the website been fixed so that tires are checked for compatible max psi rating before being listed as recommended? (Tire Rack helpfully dealt with this on the phone when I noticed this and replaced the tires I'd ordered, which had too low a max psi rating, with different tires at no extra shipping charge, since it was their mistake.)

Still working on the PSI "issue", sorry that this occurred !

Feel free to send me an email ([email protected]) with any concerns or questions on your Tesla (or other cars in your stable), but keep in mind that most questions regarding your Tesla may benefit other forum members as well, so please post on the forum first if at all possible.

Welcome to the forums, Doc.

In the spirit of the above, I have a question: I'm interested in the Rial Lugano 19" wheels. A number of Model S owners have bought them and seem quite happy. I've heard conflicting views on the different offset between the Rials (32 mm) and the factory Tesla wheels (40 mm). What can you tell us about this difference in terms of safety, performance, handling etc. 8 mm doesn't seem like a lot, but I would like to know what the caveats (if any) are of using a wheel with a different offset. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, Doc.

In the spirit of the above, I have a question: I'm interested in the Rial Lugano 19" wheels. A number of Model S owners have bought them and seem quite happy. I've heard conflicting views on the different offset between the Rials (32 mm) and the factory Tesla wheels (40 mm). What can you tell us about this difference in terms of safety, performance, handling etc. 8 mm doesn't seem like a lot, but I would like to know what the caveats (if any) are of using a wheel with a different offset. Thanks!

This is a great question, and I too would love to hear the answer.

To add information to this question, does it make a difference to this calculation that we are going from 19" x 8.0J standard factory wheels to 19" x 8.5 with the Rial Luganos? Does the half inch of wheel width in any way compensate for the 32mm of offset on the Rials versus 40mm of offset on the factory 19s? [Note: I am quoting 19" x 8.0J from p.19 of the published Tesla Model S safety manual, which may not be correct, as it lists 9.0J for the rear wheels. I have not physically measured the wheel widths myself.]

Jerry33 has posted earlier and was kind enough to remind me that the rule of thumb is that adding 1" of offset is like adding 1000 lbs to the axle. Are we adding 8mm, 16mm, or some other figure, given the change in wheel width?

And if we are adding 16mm, or roughly 2/3 of an inch, what is the real-life implication for safety, handling and performance of adding ~660 pounds to the axle?

Well, this is disappointing. I just clinked on the link in doc@tireracks' signature and chose 2010 Tesla Roadster. There were 0 products available. Same for a 2011 Roadster 2.5.

Some love for the Roadster, which you did not even mention in your intro, would be appreciated by a good number of us. This is a Tesla forum, not just a Model S one. Also keep in mind that while there a lot more Model S owners out there, the Roadster owners go through tires pretty quickly.