Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Models S basic build spec/price/orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Having dallied for ages now and nearly buying a Roadster last year (just too expensive for UK models) and waiting for UK Model S pricing I am still not sure. I have a charger already installed and waiting (it was £75.00 for the 32 amp version via a grant).

Super charger enabled I can wait for.
Tech pack not too bothered. Maps is easy to do via Bluetooth.
60 kWh vs 85kWh is 70 miles range but I am not sure that is worth the extra £7400.00

The only items I consider are :
High Fidelity Sound (personal choice I love my music)
Dual Charger
Sub zero weather package

So a basic Model S with Government Grant at £5000 of gives a price of £49.900 plus delivery fees, which I would be happy with, I wonder what else most UK order holders will go for as it gets really expensive adding the extras.

Also how many orders are there. On another UK thread we hear 200 orders, I imagine 25% will drop out, leaving 175 actual cars on a deposit.

Just be good to get other possible UK order holders thoughts and ideas on all the options, plus the business benefits. 100% writing down for 1st year ownership (meaning for me leaving the purchase until next April 2014) would give a real world 15-20% extra off the asking price, plus my part exchange would probably bring the actual out of pocket cost on the basic model.

What are the rest of potential UK purchasers thinking right now.

Best
Dan43 Cotswolds

when i was guessing a prices i expected a lot more but the prices have really shocked me pity I am still 40K too short lol.

like yourself if i was to order one i would probably go for the 40kwh car in red with pano roof

19'' cyclone wheels
black leather
carbon trim
supercharger
dual chargers

would like the tech pack but wouldnt need half the stuff on it

which puts the car at 60k and that doesnt even come with fog lamps sorry but has elon set foot in the north of England these should be standard on a 60k car

I have just placed my order but I went back and forth on the value of the dual chargers, in the end I decided I did not need it, there are very few type 2 chargers that can do more than 7kw in the UK, and a lot of the big fast chargers being deployed are CHAdeMO type so better to save the cost of the second charger and buy the crazy overpriced adaptor for that

That's not strictly true. All the Ecotricity dual AC/DC chargers support 63A 3P, so you will get the full 22kW of a dual charger. Same with the CYC ones. That's still not in the league of a 50kW CHAdeMO but I think you are going to see a lot of 22kW sites installed once the Model S rolls out here.

You should be able to plug the Type 2 plug from any 63 A 3-phase station directly into a euro-spec Model S. The Model S will use only 16 A with single charger, or 32 A if equipped with dual chargers.

GSP

Jon, you can plug the rapid charger straight into the Model S. You do not need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable in the middle.

The European car uses a Type 2 inlet on the car. GSP has it exactly right.

EDIT: Here is Mark Gemmell's car plugged in to the same DBT-CEV charger at a French Ikea.

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
The hard wired Type 2 plug on those Ecotricity/Ikea rapid chargers will work with any car that has a Type 2 socket on it. Currently that is Model S, Renault Zoe, Smart ED, Volvo V60 PHEV, BMW i3 and shortly will include cars from Mercedes, Audi and VW. Of that list, only the Renault Zoe can take the full 43kW (63A) and the others are restricted to 22kW or lower.

To charge the Model S from other types of (socketed) charging posts, you will need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable. Get the 3 phase version of course.

Regarding Type 1, this is now obsolete in the context of Model S in Europe - you don't need to worry about it :)

So a Leaf or Ampera can't plug into the AC side of these Ecotricity chargers, but the Leaf will use the CHAdeMO DC plug.

Damn, I was looking for one of those Type2 - Type2 cables when I was finalising my order. Didn't find one so ended up ordering the Tesla cable for twice the price as zercarbonworld.

That's right. I recommend you look at the ZCW charging station kits as you can then change the cable to suit your needs.

They are pretty easy to build and high quality. I made a Type 1 portable unit from these parts.

I should be able to get a free one (well pay a little to upgrade to 32amp) from one of the providers like chargemaster, since I was one of the idiots who paid full price to British Gas to install one before they started giving them away free