Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Mode in version 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way sleep mode appears to be working will result in minimal change on a day to day basis for most people. However, if you leave your car unplugged and unused for a week or more, you will notice a much more dramatic change. Early indication is that vampire load has been reduced to 30% of what it was before.

on v5.0 I left my car unplugged for 13 days (296 hours) and lost 0.21 mi/hr temps between 50 and 63F

v5.6 I actually saw miles gained several times after my car was asleep for a couple of hours

haven't had 5.8 long enough for data pts but here is past firmware sleep/vamp losses

0.25 mi/hr v5.6 (n=21
0.31 mi/hr v5.0 (n=18
0.66 mi/hr v4.5 (n=31
0.58 mi/hr v4.4 (n=23
0.37 mi/hr v4.3 (n=14
1.12 mi/hr v4.2 (n=58
1.33 mi/hr v4.1 (n=28
1.75 mi/hr v4.0 (n=6

Thank You huntjo, mnx, this setting in display was default. Is that the only setting, because I did not see any change in behavior or savings when parked overnight 6 PM to 7 AM?
Peter
How far away from the car are your keyfobs? If they're too close the car will not sleep. We had to move ours ~20ft away.

Here's how to tell if the car is sleeping. In the morning, do not contact the car via mobile app or anything. Walk out to the car w/ the keyfob and open the door. On the instrument cluster you should see a black screen w/ the Tesla logo on it. That is the car waking up from sleep. If you immediately see the regular screen the car is not sleeping.

on v5.0 I left my car unplugged for 13 days (296 hours) and lost 0.21 mi/hr temps between 50 and 63F

v5.6 I actually saw miles gained several times after my car was asleep for a couple of hours

haven't had 5.8 long enough for data pts but here is past firmware sleep/vamp losses

0.25 mi/hr v5.6 (n=21
0.31 mi/hr v5.0 (n=18
0.66 mi/hr v4.5 (n=31
0.58 mi/hr v4.4 (n=23
0.37 mi/hr v4.3 (n=14
1.12 mi/hr v4.2 (n=58
1.33 mi/hr v4.1 (n=28
1.75 mi/hr v4.0 (n=6

It's nice to see the continued improvement. Thanks for tracking this over time/versions.

At one point Elon promised 0.2% Vampire loss, or 170 watts per day (assuming 85 Kwh of charging/charge losses per day).

Hopefully, we continue to get closer to that point that would be close to .5 miles a day or 12 times lower that the current value.

Love the new sleep mode in 5.8, or rather the 'don't sleep' mode. Now instantly start and go when getting into the car, and the phone app connects in under 5 seconds instead of a minute or two.

And how much does this extravagant energy loss cost me? About 2 miles overnight. Doesn't seem any worse than energy saving mode to me and much more convenient. Will only switch to sleep mode when traveling or parking at the airport where every mile counts…

I am measuring my vampire loses through kwH and my one datapoint I have so far is higher than with 4.5.

I am keeping my car plugged in at 50% charge without driving it (I know!) figure I have to use my ICE car a little bit and it is raining.

Right now my data is showing 1.47kWh / day for 5.8 which is a higher vampire drain than 4.5 of 1.38kWh / day.

I'm quite surprised! Sure it is a little cooler than it was in September, but I don't see any vampire drain fixes.

I am measuring my vampire loses through kwH and my one datapoint I have so far is higher than with 4.5.

I am keeping my car plugged in at 50% charge without driving it (I know!) figure I have to use my ICE car a little bit and it is raining.

Right now my data is showing 1.47kWh / day for 5.8 which is a higher vampire drain than 4.5 of 1.38kWh / day.

I'm quite surprised! Sure it is a little cooler than it was in September, but I don't see any vampire drain fixes.

Are you measuring with an external power meter?

Do you know if the car is actually sleeping?

I am measuring it externally through PGE data when it 'recharges' at 10pm every other day. I believe it is sleeping. I'm going to have to double check when this weeks experiment is over, but I don't want to wake it up to check! Even if it is not 'sleeping', the vampire drain is more than with 4.5.

I'm following the same methodology as I did earlier:
Vampire Drain | Tesla Owner

Are you measuring with an external power meter?

Do you know if the car is actually sleeping?

Can we please get back to my original question. My car does not go to sleep, even with the correct setting in Display, Save on. And I need the sleep mode, because I leave the car for a longer period on the airport when going on vacation otherwise it would not bother me.
Strider, when I go in the car the screen is immediately on with the navigation, so comes my iPhone app after one or two seconds.
Do I need to turn remote access off maybe?
Peter

Hi Stoneymonster, Thank You, but I leave my car at the parkinglot at the trainstation, take the train to work 70 miles away, and after 10 hours be back to the car, and the display is on in a beat when I open the door. At night the keys are about 60 feet away.
Peter

I am measuring it externally through PGE data when it 'recharges' at 10pm every other day. I believe it is sleeping. I'm going to have to double check when this weeks experiment is over, but I don't want to wake it up to check! Even if it is not 'sleeping', the vampire drain is more than with 4.5.

I'm following the same methodology as I did earlier:
Vampire Drain | Tesla Owner

I read your blog. It great to have a so much data. Thanks for collecting and posting it.

Unfortunately, I think there is an error in your kWh calculations. It looks like you counted each 15 minute interval as an hour. For example, 2.24kw for 15 minutes is 2.24kW * 0.25h = 0.56kWh, not 2.24kWh

Taking September 9th data as an example, you have 2.24kW, 2.42kW and 0.75kW for 15 minutes each. That is only 1.3525 kWh of electricity. Given that is for 2 days, your measured vampire losses over those 2 days would be just 0.67625kWh. Still more that I'd like to see, but much better than 2.75kWh per day...

Thanks, I hope the data is helpful.

Unfortunately, there is a ton of confusion what kWh are. It is really just energy and not over time. The name is terrible, and should really be called something else in a ideal world. Think of your 85kWh battery, it is an amount of energy no matter how quickly or slowly you use it up.

My historic number is very consistent with other user's reports. Can't figure out yet why 5.8 is even more, but waiting for PGE to report to me more data.

This wikipedia page may help Kilowatt hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read your blog. It great to have a so much data. Thanks for collecting and posting it.

Unfortunately, I think there is an error in your kWh calculations. It looks like you counted each 15 minute interval as an hour. For example, 2.24kw for 15 minutes is 2.24kW * 0.25h = 0.56kWh, not 2.24kWh

Taking September 9th data as an example, you have 2.24kW, 2.42kW and 0.75kW for 15 minutes each. That is only 1.3525 kWh of electricity. Given that is for 2 days, your measured vampire losses over those 2 days would be just 0.67625kWh. Still more that I'd like to see, but much better than 2.75kWh per day...

Thanks, I hope the data is helpful.

Unfortunately, there is a ton of confusion what kWh are. It is really just energy and not over time. The name is terrible, and should really be called something else in a ideal world. Think of your 85kWh battery, it is an amount of energy no matter how quickly or slowly you use it up.

My historic number is very consistent with other user's reports. Can't figure out yet why 5.8 is even more, but waiting for PGE to report to me more data.

This wikipedia page may help Kilowatt hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doh. I was thinking your readings were samples of the current Watts being used. I see the kWh label on the vertical axis now. My bad.

It seems really strange that 5.8 would use more. Perhaps something causing more mobile data access? Or a change in the cell signal strength (a weak or intermittent signal causes a lot more power usage that a strong signal).