Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai says Hydrogren Cars next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why choose to build a hydrogen car instead of a BEV if it's a compliance car anyway?!

I'd assume that the technology for a BEV is simpler than that for a Hydrogen-fueled car?! And, there's more of an infrastructure to refuel a BEV?!
They get 7 credits for each hydrogen car while a typical "100 mile" BEV like a Leaf would get only 3 credits (you need battery swapping to get 7 credits and a lot more range like the Model S). Basically it reduces the amount of cars they have to make and support (probably only a small R&D fleet is necessary to satisfy the requirement). There's also less (no) competition too.

Also the 1000 I mentioned is worldwide and includes 2015.

Last edited:
As always these FCVs are just for show and a (poor) environmental alibi for the ICE mafia. i keep thinking it would be really could though if one of these companies dared to take the Tesla route and build an all-out luxury, high performance FCV from the ground up. Even if it cost $150k. This assumin pg of course that such a vehicle is possible to build (I have some doubt).

One word: Infrastructure. Am I the only one who is extremely tired of the hydrogen-talk? We've heard about it for such a long time, and even if the Hyundai Tucson is a breakthrough FCV-vehicle it would still be soo much more limited than the Model S or BEVs in general. I'm tired of waiting, and it will take many decades before they have a practical infrastructure for hydrogen around the globe. I don't have that time.