Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clipper Creek 100 amp and Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it works the same way.

HPWC is cheaper, but you will only attract Teslas.
CS-100 is more, but you will attract more EV drivers

For a Hotel, speed is not the issue. 40 amps is plenty for overnight charging. The number of charging spaces available is more important.

I realize speed is a non-issue, but when talking to them, I had in mind 2 or 3 Model S's doing a car trip in a group.
As such, we'd all arrive at say 5, then take the HPWC in turns.
And as EV's proliferate, I think high powered is better for same reason, no?

If it were my hotel, I would put more 30 amp EVSE's and cover more guests that are going to be renting rooms overnight. Whoever plugs in will have a full charge the next morning. If a Tesla plugs into an HPWC and goes to bed, he's done charging quickly and nobody else can use it.

High power is great if you can afford the numbers needed. I advocate them everywhere else except a hotel where you are staying overnight. Most Hotels do not want to be charging locations only. They put in the EVSE's to attract paying clients.

sp4rk,

Honestly the best solution if I were in your shoes would be a bank of 30amp or 48amp ClipperCreek or Eaton units. You will get more EV's to charge and a larger exposure or EV's. Since you are limited by total AMPS it really makes sense. I suggest you talk with the guys at Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Atlanta GA Greg would be a great source of information.

I should know this ...
Working with an hotel and they are deciding whether to install a Clipper Creek 100A or an HPWC.
The former is to be EV PC.
CS-100 Charging Station with Pedestal
With this High powered clipper creek, does it work the same way as our HPWC? As in, if you have dual chargers, you get 60 MPH refill?

sp4rk,

Honestly the best solution if I were in your shoes would be a bank of 30amp or 48amp ClipperCreek or Eaton units. You will get more EV's to charge and a larger exposure or EV's. Since you are limited by total AMPS it really makes sense. I suggest you talk with the guys at Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Atlanta GA Greg would be a great source of information.

If you're amperage-limited at the breaker box, then given that your guests should be charging overnight, then yes, you can get by with less than 100 amps. The extra cost of higher-amp chargers is insignificant, so you should judge what to get by what your electrical feed can handle -- the extra cost of upgrading that can be quite large.

The thing is, you really do NOT want to go as low as the very common 30 amps, because then some of your guests (the ones with 85kWh Model S) won't be able to get a full charge overnight. Get CS-60s (48 amps) at least.

Someone was advertising a dual-head unit. Supposedly if fed by one circuit it would load balance. That might be the ideal solution for hotel overnight charging from a cost/benefit and customer experience perspective.

andrewket, the charge share solutions downgrade to 16amp from 30amp with two vehicle's there are new units coming but nothing in the remote to near solution.

sp4k, the other thought here is the average stay at the hotel will be 8-11 hours so at a 25mph charge on a 30amp 200-260 miles gained in a Tesla. So going up to 48amps truly provides no benifit. Just my 2 cents.

I have an HPWC right next to a Clipper Creek CS-100. They both charge at 80A. Although the CS-100 is'nt that much more than Clipper Creeks lower amperage models, the installation cost can be much higher. Running four #2 wires and two #4 ground wires 275 feet at $2.60 and $1.25 per ft. respectively, 3" conduit and a separate 200A sub panel with 100A CB's was a lot more than the cost of the CS-100. Thousands more!