Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping passenger comfortable while driver steps out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone come up with a way to keep the heat/seat warmer sand radio on while the drivers steps out for say a cup of coffee or to get takeout and the passenger in front seat stays? As winter approaches the keeping of the door cracked open is becoming unacceptable especially when that passenger is the significant other who is very sensitive to cold drafts... She even carries the second fob, but that doesn't seem to help. As soon as my butt leaves the drivers seat and door is closed, Total power down.

If they even touch the 17" display with the fob in the car everything turns back on. This is what I normally do when my wife is in the car and I need to get cash from an ATM, or grab takeout.

You can also put the car in neutral, the pop the parking brake. That should keep everything on as well. And leave the fob in the car.

Has anyone come up with a way to keep the heat/seat warmer sand radio on while the drivers steps out for say a cup of coffee or to get takeout and the passenger in front seat stays? As winter approaches the keeping of the door cracked open is becoming unacceptable especially when that passenger is the significant other who is very sensitive to cold drafts... She even carries the second fob, but that doesn't seem to help. As soon as my butt leaves the drivers seat and door is closed, Total power down.

by far the most egregious #whitepeopleproblems i have ever seen.

and i looove white people. what with your "camping" and such...

Ah young grasshopper, you must be careful least you offend the small number of "those who race must not be referred to". While these minor complants seem trivial to true street warriors, born and raised on the tundra one must make allowances to lesser gods.

Political intrepetation: Watch out, young brother, you're gonna offend someone.

I think this is one of the sloppiest oversight/bugs in the car! My wife and I joke that we need to get Elon a girlfriend so he'll understand how uncool it is for her to be left in the dark!

Any chance it's fixed in 5.8?

I think this is one of the sloppiest oversight/bugs in the car! My wife and I joke that we need to get Elon a girlfriend so he'll understand how uncool it is for her to be left in the dark!

Any chance it's fixed in 5.8?

While I agree it is inconvenient that the car momentarily turns off when the driver leaves the car, and someone is still in the car. The current action is the correct one. It really isn't hard at all to tap the giant screen, once the driver steps out. And you want the car turning off when the driver exits the vehicle. I would rather 'inconvience' my passenger with a half second of no music, than once a year when my car doesn't actually turn off when I leave it.

I'm talking about when I open the door for my wife - beautiful music playing - elegant interior lighting - oh so perfect - she feels so special and pampered - then WHAM! in the lonely dark while I walk around to the drivers side. Sloppy whether you want to make excuses or not.

While I agree it is inconvenient that the car momentarily turns off when the driver leaves the car, and someone is still in the car. The current action is the correct one. It really isn't hard at all to tap the giant screen, once the driver steps out. And you want the car turning off when the driver exits the vehicle. I would rather 'inconvience' my passenger with a half second of no music, than once a year when my car doesn't actually turn off when I leave it.

Exactly! The car doesn't know she's there. It could look at the weight sensor used to control the air bag, but that isn't 100% reliable. What if you tossed your heavy briefcase on the seat?

I'd prefer to have the car switch off when I get out. This is the correct action.

I'm talking about when I open the door for my wife - beautiful music playing - elegant interior lighting - oh so perfect - she feels so special and pampered - then WHAM! in the lonely dark while I walk around to the drivers side. Sloppy whether you want to make excuses or not.

Some things just can't be solved by technology. The car can't read your mind. It doesn't know for sure whether anyone is still in the car. It needs to shut down when the driver gets out.

Just to be clear. And yes, I'm a little embarrassed that I hadn't figured this out yet. When I leave the car if I'm using the screen tapping option, can I take the FOB with me? Or, do I have to leave it in the car for the person who is left tapping the screen?