Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost ICE'd at Burlington, NC Supercharger - 7 of 8 Stalls Blocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

Lucky the one stall was available - a travelling "Wheel of Fortune" tryout overwhelmed the otherwise empty back corner of the Burlington NC Supercharger location.
At least a local official came over and asked me to tell him when I was finished so they could block (with an orange cone) any others from parking there.

View attachment 35814
View attachment 35815

Lucky the one stall was available - a travelling "Wheel of Fortune" tryout overwhelmed the otherwise empty back corner of the Burlington NC Supercharger location.
At least a local official came over and asked me to tell him when I was finished so they could block (with an orange cone) any others from parking there.

This is going to become a bigger and bigger problem with EV spaces and the only answer is education and enforcement. Tesla should (and could easily) make these tow-away zones, clearly post signs and put an end to this... or at least give us drivers recourse to being stranded. People pull up to a Tesla Charger and if there is no signage, not sure we can blame them for being ignorant.

OR... we could protest by parking our Tesla's at gas pumps and getting our hair done :)

This is going to become a bigger and bigger problem with EV spaces and the only answer is education and enforcement. Tesla should (and could easily) make these tow-away zones, clearly post signs and put an end to this... or at least give us drivers recourse to being stranded. People pull up to a Tesla Charger and if there is no signage, not sure we can blame them for being ignorant.
Yep, to echo markb1, Tesla doesn't own and may not even rent the space. I agree they could probably try to improve signage but that would also be up to the owner's discretion.

Each and every one of those cars should be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense. Sure we need better signage, but the penalty for parking in one of these should be the same as parking in a handicapped spot. The spots should be painted as RESERVED for Model S vehicles, and any car that is not a Model S should be physically removed.

This kind of stuff ticks me off.

Yep, to echo markb1, Tesla doesn't own and may not even rent the space. I agree they could probably try to improve signage but that would also be up to the owner's discretion.

Each site may be different also. Atascadero for example only has several spaces marked as limited parking that are supercharging spaces. The owner of the lot may have been willing or able legally due to office space/parking spaces ratio, to dedicate all the spaces to Tesla paking only. In this county we have to maintain 1 space parking per 200 feet of office space. Robobank, the owner there appears to have excess, but they may not have been able or willing to dedicate all the spaces to Tesla only parking.

What is the Burlington NC signage? Hard to tell, but it looks like the sign that says Tesla Parking, but does not prohibit other parking. Agree that Tesla has to negotiate with the property owner as to signage, restrictions, etc. Both WA Supercharger sites have about half marked as charging only, the others with 30 minute parking signs. Looks like OR has the Tesla sign, but doesn't prohibit others from parking there.

The signage at the Burlington SC is the first 4 stalls (left side) say something like Tesla parking and the other 4 have a sign that says something like "General 30 minute parking" - I forget the exact wording, but remember thinking it was strange that it said general parking. Either way, it does clearly say 30 minutes only (which is weird because you might need to supercharge for more than 30 minutes) and the other 4 spots definitely say Tesla only.

The signage at the Burlington SC is the first 4 stalls (left side) say something like Tesla parking and the other 4 have a sign that says something like "General 30 minute parking" - I forget the exact wording, but remember thinking it was strange that it said general parking. Either way, it does clearly say 30 minutes only (which is weird because you might need to supercharge for more than 30 minutes) and the other 4 spots definitely say Tesla only.
Is it this sign? If so, I don't consider that very restrictive. Advisory, yes, but I don't think a case could be made to prevent a Hummer from parking there.

Looks like the sign in OR, and is popping up at other locations.

Attachments

• tesla sign.jpg
    tesla sign.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 684
Each and every one of those cars should be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense. Sure we need better signage, but the penalty for parking in one of these should be the same as parking in a handicapped spot. The spots should be painted as RESERVED for Model S vehicles, and any car that is not a Model S should be physically removed.

+1 how ignorant can these people be, there are signs right in front of them.

Is it this sign? If so, I don't consider that very restrictive. Advisory, yes, but I don't think a case could be made to prevent a Hummer from parking there.

Looks like the sign in OR, and is popping up at other locations.

As was stated it could be this type of signage that permits ICE vehicles to park for 30 minutes.

Port Saint Lucie Ribbon ICE signage.jpg

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

+1 how ignorant can these people be, there are signs right in front of them.

I would like to see more aggressive signage and towing policies, but as has been pointed out Tesla may not have that option at their disposal depending on the rules established by the host. Please refer to the signage in my previous posting that at certain locations actually permits ICE vehicles to park there for 30 minutes.

Larry

Supercharger signage seems to be situational in nature. Some super chargers (e.g. Darien, CT) have signs that say things like "No parking except for electric vehicle charging". Others permit 30 minute general parking (e.g. some of the bays at Silverthorne, CO). Seems to me it's whatever Tesla can negotiate with the local stakeholders.

I get it, but.... I think we need to be the best Tesla ambassadors of all time. The size of the crowd alone means we're going to be ICE'd. This is when we need to show our best colors, our most polite character. I don't like being ICE'd one bit, however this is the best opportunity of all time to share what a wonderful car this is, with everyone there. Ticketed!? Towed!? Stupid ICE drivers!? No, I don't think so... {I know it's tough!} ... but turn this nightmare scenario into the most wonderful opportunistic moment.. to educate ICE drivers. They may soon be Tesla Model E buyers, and it may be because we were not cross with them!!! Vent your frustration elsewhere,.. here perhaps,.. but definitely not on location with the general public! Heck!! ...maybe we should get Wheel of Fortune to place a Tesla Model S on the wheel... :)!