Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If offered the update are you delaying install of 5.8?

If offered are you taking the 5.8 update?

• Yes I will / already have

Votes: 73 64.6%
  • No / I will wait for TMC to comment

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • I have coil / don't care

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notice of the software upgrade on Friday. I figured Friday night was a good time for the upgrade. As an early owner I want the upgrade to be on the weekend in case it causes problems. I was still on 4.5 so I wanted to get the new features. After installing I learned here that the air suspension was changed without notice.

I was still on 4.5 so I wanted to get the new features. After installing I learned here that the air suspension was changed without notice.

I was in the same boat. I didn't have the option of installing 5.6 it was 5.8 or nothing. I didn't know about the air suspension issue when I did my upgrade this morning since Tesla didn't see fit to notify me. If I had know about it I would have proceeded anyway because I value the sleep mode (and faster Supercharging) more than what I hope to be a temporary loss of the automatic air suspension. It would be extremely unwise if Tesla made this loss of the automatic air suspension permanent.

I sincerely hope that they will quickly make a public announcement that this is merely a temporary measure. I'm a big fan of Tesla, but rushing out this 5.8 upgrade without explaining the reason for removing a feature that I paid for and which is prominently advertised on their website really was an unprofessional action that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I voted that I installed the 5.8 update, but if I had 5.6 and knew that I would lose the automatic air suspension feature I would have deferred the 5.8 installation until I had more information from Tesla.

Larry

EDIT: Based on Nigel's reference below it appears that this issue may merely be a programming oversight, not a deliberate act of management to reduce functionality without notification. If so, my use of the term "unprofessional" may be too strong.

Last edited:
I received 5.6 a couple of days ago and yesterday I saw 5.8. Because I was planning a lot of driving, I didn't update. Now I'm glad I didn't even though 5.8 has some features I would like (such as the TPMS reset).

But we don't have confirmation that pushing to 100 MPH was unintentional. It seems a funny coincidence I agree. Maybe a clever way to give themselves an out of this was poorly received by owners (as it turns out to be) - they could say "oops, our bad" and "fix" it.

In any case, am I going to be successful in dodging the update or will my car update itself anyway? If I can't dodge it I would rather do it now rather than some time of the car's choosing.

I am leaning towards waiting to install 5.8. I'm on 4.5 right now and it just works. Before I jump on board, I'll let you guys try it out first for a bit then upgrade.

I was on 4.5 as well, the sleep improvement, TPMS reset (I have a 2nd set of tires/TPMS for winter), WiFi (though I can't get it to connect) all seem more important to me than the automatic lowering at highway speeds. Of course my new job is 5 miles from my house, and I usually take back roads, so highway lowering for improved range doesn't mean much to me... Also now my OpenEVSE can charge at 75A, it was automatically being set to 60A on scheduled charging on 4.5

There was enough new in this release that I think Tesla knew most of us would install it....

Not sure upgrading to 5.8 or holding off really matters much. Either 1) this is indeed a programming mistake and they'll fix it soon enough, 2) they'll realize owners are upset and they'll undo it soon enough, or 3) it was quite intentional, they don't care that owners are upset because it might prevent a couple of battery strikes, and it will be part of every software upgrade for the rest of time. So really, unless one plans on staying at 5.6 (or 4.5!) for the rest of time, the benefit of holding off is going to be short lived. Regardless, it would be nice to see some communication on this--presumably coming, if it was intentional anyway.

Not sure upgrading to 5.8 or holding off really matters much. Either 1) this is indeed a programming mistake and they'll fix it soon enough, 2) they'll realize owners are upset and they'll undo it soon enough, or 3) it was quite intentional, they don't care that owners are upset because it might prevent a couple of battery strikes, and it will be part of every software upgrade for the rest of time. So really, unless one plans on staying at 5.6 (or 4.5!) for the rest of time, the benefit of holding off is going to be short lived. Regardless, it would be nice to see some communication on this--presumably coming, if it was intentional anyway.

Well, yes, if this is intentional we'll just have to eat it. But every time owners have to eat something it makes them that much less willing to recommend Tesla to others. I don't think Tesla can afford to alienate owners. They already have a tire-eating problem they need to solve (and it appears there is some progress on that).