Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

water in lenses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
Anyone done a shade-tree mechanic (i.e. me) on the backup lenses yet? Did not see a simple fix/post and taking the car into the service center is a pain.

It must not rain in California??

Attachments

• lens.jpg
    lens.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 504
I understand that they have a fix for this. Water is not getting into the light itself, it's a separate trim piece that sits on top of the lens. As I understood it they replace that trim piece with one w/ better seals. Our car goes in for it's first service so was going to have them look at this while it was in.

The SC may have a bulletin on the wet lenses, but it is an old old old issue. Same thing happened when my car arrived in December of 2012. Hope they finally get it right.

Yeah I hope that when I get my car in 3 months I don't have the same issue. Maybe its not something they can QC easily at the factory? I would imagine so since they have a rain machine in house basically.

I had the issue fixed with a new applique, I think this was the service center's term, was replaced once already. But the problem still happens because it turns out (as they mentioned to me at the time) the double-stick rubber material is actually porous. I am still supposedly on the list for a fix once Tesla comes out with a kit with a new membrane material that is not porous. I have no idea when that might be but I was told Tesla is aware of the problem.

I was also told that the moisture is not actually getting inside anything and it is merely cosmetic. Sorry this is info I got at the SC and I have not personally dug into the lenses myself - it is a small niggle and down here it dries out quickly.

I had the issue fixed with a new applique, I think this was the service center's term, was replaced once already. But the problem still happens because it turns out (as they mentioned to me at the time) the double-stick rubber material is actually porous. I am still supposedly on the list for a fix once Tesla comes out with a kit with a new membrane material that is not porous. I have no idea when that might be but I was told Tesla is aware of the problem.

I was also told that the moisture is not actually getting inside anything and it is merely cosmetic. Sorry this is info I got at the SC and I have not personally dug into the lenses myself - it is a small niggle and down here it dries out quickly.
Your info is spot on. The moisture is in between the lens and the appliqué (chrome trim piece) so it doesn't affect the light in any way. We had ours replaced in January and so far it's holding up (car is washed almost every week).