Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be better if that was optional.

yes. should be an option/checkbox/slider switch.

i would still like it to auto lower at highway speeds, unless i manually lock it out (say if i'm on a debris filled road.. lol).

can it be manually lowered once at highway speed and stay there, until low speed threshold crossed?

i have 5.8 but haven't tested that yet....

yes. should be an option/checkbox/slider switch.

i would still like it to auto lower at highway speeds, unless i manually lock it out (say if i'm on a debris filled road.. lol).

can it be manually lowered once at highway speed and stay there, until low speed threshold crossed?

i have 5.8 but haven't tested that yet....

wow. This is great they are making this change!!

i agree with above comments

Which makes you wonder where all that capacity was when they did the slow roll-outs before....

I am wondering if removing default lowering of the car at highway speeds is the main reason 5.8 is being deployed at unusually high speed. Could it be that the promised Elon's post in response to the third fire incident is going to be posted tomorrow, and will mention the delete of default setting.

I really hope, though, that I will be able to turn this feature back on - like reduced power consumption and improved high speed stability!

For the record, I didn't start this thread, I guess Nigel did. I was only passing along a tidbit from Facebook that I found kind of odd that nothing was mentioned in the release notes but 1 owner was making. If its true maybe Elon will address it in his blog.

I really hope, though, that I will be able to turn this feature back on - like reduced power consumption and improved high speed stability!

There's always the option not to install v5.8.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, I didn't start this thread, I guess Nigel did.

Correct. At least bhuwan has tried it out and confirmed and I'm guessing that it's related to the couple of road accidents when folks drove over stuff. I'll come back and change the title if this all turns out to be coincidence.

For the record, I didn't start this thread, I guess Nigel did. I was only passing along a tidbit from Facebook that I found kind of odd that nothing was mentioned in the release notes but 1 owner was making. If its true maybe Elon will address it in his blog.
Blame this one on me, not Nigel. I requested he pull out a separate thread for this discussion. I hope you don't mind.

- - - Updated - - -

The original behavior was to lower the car at 74 mph instantly, or if > 55 mph for more than 15 seconds.
Reference? Or is this empirical data? Thanks.

IMO Tesla has decided to make this change to work out the situation with NHTSA. I think that for the time being it will work. It's a change that can be done via firmware and is almost costless. I am sure that in the future Tesla will make some structural changes to the Model S that will improve also the performance and handling of the Model S allowing again the air suspension to lower at high speeds.