Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jingle-bell type sound coming from under the car when going over some bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that's it's late in the year you might find it advisable to check your beard growth and seek help if you start feeling urges to wear red....

On a more serious note: I'm sure Tesla Service will happily take a look at it for you. They won't turn you away because you're the only one.

Nigel,
That reminds me of the pilot squawk about something under the dash sounding like a "midget with a hammer" (not my politically incorrect words, sorry). Maintenance responded with "took hammer away from midget". It is a little early in the year but perhaps we need to pull that salvation arm bell away from its owner.

my car makes the same sound. i asked the service center to look into it the last time the car was in (about seven months ago), but they said they could not reproduce the sound. the sound is definitely still there. the car is going in to the service center in a couple weeks to have the snow tires put back on and i will ask them to look into it again then.

Anyone else notice this sound? I've had it since I bought the car. When I go over a raised surface, like exiting a parking garage that has a gate with a rail that you have to drive over, when the car goes over that rail, I hear what can only be described as a jingle-bell or tambourine type sound briefly. It's like there's something loose under the car.

I've noticed this at very slow speeds going over bumps, usually in parking lot situations. Windows must be down to hear the sound.

I am very curious if others have heard it. I figure I haven't a chance of getting it looked at by the Tesla Service Center if I'm the only one :-/

santa-claus-accident.jpg

funny-santa-clauses.jpg

I'm glad you figured it out. I once had a weird jingling sound driving around over bumps in the road and I found out that it was a loose/broken bracket in the rear seat that caused that seat to jump up and down slightly as I drove over bumps. I found it odd since no one ever sits in my back seats...go fig. They said they would order me a new bracket but it never came. Go fig...

I'm glad you figured it out. I once had a weird jingling sound driving around over bumps in the road and I found out that it was a loose/broken bracket in the rear seat that caused that seat to jump up and down slightly as I drove over bumps. I found it odd since no one ever sits in my back seats...go fig. They said they would order me a new bracket but it never came. Go fig...

I've found that you have to also send an email to ownership or it won't get done.

This type of sound can drive one insane. You just have to be relentless in the search for the cause.

In my previous vehicle, I kept hearing a "jingle bell" sound over bumps and around corners. My son is in elementary school with lots of crafts so I found a stray jingle bell in the console. Problem solved? Nope. Kept happening and I kept looking. Turns out an extendible handle umbrella, like a Totes brand, had some loose piece in the stem portion and jingled when it shifted.

I take my car in Wednesday for the jingle bell sound. Its coming from my front driver side tire. The passenger can't hear it and I can only hear it when going over small bumps like road reflectors. The tire also rubs when I make a hard right. I think it all happened when I had my new wheels installed. Not sure though.

Something that had happened with me causing this type of sound was actually one of the parking brake caliper's bolts somehow got stripped loose so they had to replace them. It sounded like the wheel might fall off or something wrong with the suspension when I was trying to describe the sound to them and it was rather scary to hear. Turns out I could be a little less worried, and of course they fixed it easily enough. I think just to be safe they replaced all the bolts on the parking brake calipers. They also sent the bolts off to Tesla in CA to have someone take a look at them since it was the first time anyone had heard of this problem.

Anyway, that was my experience regarding a "jingle-bell" sound.