Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone going to be in Rockford tomorrow?Thinking of loosing my Supercharger Virginity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was great to meet you today! Yah, the boys were hungry. Ate, played to their hearts content in the play area in the mall, then we went to charge.

Rather disappointed by the supercharger though :(

It is a 120kW supercharger (verified it on the side of the cabinet behind the security enclosure), but on my 60kW pack it was limited to 92kW. I started charging at about 20 miles range left (used my heater to bring it down quite a bit while we were in the mall for testing purposes).

Took about 35 minutes to get to 80%, I tried going for a complete full range charge, but after 1 1/2 hours sitting their, it was still going. It did get me up to 204 miles range though. I think the pack entered balance phase.

at 65% state of charge of the pack, the SC dropped down to 50kW (CHAdeMO speeds), by 75-80%, was down to about 30kW. Not complaining, not at all, for road trips, it's still great, and in normal circumstances, i'd plug in, THEN go into the mall etc...

We will need to meet up again. Cant wait until the Pleasant Prairie SC opens.

The superchargers really aren't made for charging above 90%. Even with a high amp normal outlet you get significant slowdown above 90%.

When the pack heats up the draw drops too. You can feel the heat pouring from the wheel-wells and hear the fans for the radiator kick in.

120 kW is for the 85 kWh pack. You can't expect more than 92-95 kW for 60 kWh pack.

I figured it wouldn't be as high as the 85 pack.

- - - Updated - - -

The superchargers really aren't made for charging above 90%. Even with a high amp normal outlet you get significant slowdown above 90%.

When the pack heats up the draw drops too. You can feel the heat pouring from the wheel-wells and hear the fans for the radiator kick in.

I know their is significant slowdown above 90%. Since this was my first time supercharging, I wanted to try and get the complete time to recharge to range on my pack for when I do road trips. At least for the time being, the superchargers are few and far between, so every last mile I can get will be required. My road trip in January, at least with present SC Rollout, I will be needing to use Level 2's and CHAdeMO's. And to GET to those level 2's and CHAdeMO's, with my 60kW Pack, I WILL need to range charge at the 1 SC in route, and at each charging stop between to get to my 1000 mile away destination.

Certainly felt the heat. Even at 50 degrees out, the AC compressor kicked in and blasted away until it hit around 85% State of Charge. The Supercharger cabinet also had some serious cooling going on as well. Could feel the hot breeze coming off it.

Overall, for needing to do a Range Charge at a SC, I'm disapointed with the time frame of over 1 1/2 hours. For a 80-90% state of charge, for when more SC's are rolled out, I am quite satisfied.