Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goodmorning to all of you. I have a question regarding the charging infrastructure in England. I live in the Netherlands and I'm planning to go to northern Spain (Asturias) this Christmas, via England!

The route is as follows: We will drive from Utrecht to Hoek van Holland (near Rotterdam), where we will take the carferry to Harwich. This trip is about 80 km. Before boarding the ferry we will top off the battery in Hoek van Holland. With our dutch carging card I can use all the public charging points in the Netherlands, so no problem there. From Harwich we will drive to Portsmouth, that a distance of about 270 km in a straight line. We plan to stay about three days in England, so we will drive more km.

In Portsmouth we will take the carferry to Bilbao (24 hours!). From Bilbao to Gijon is about 280 km.

I've found the website www.nextgreencar.com which has a map of charging points in GB. I see there are quite enough on the route from Harwich to Portsmouth which have type 2 mennekes connections, so that should be no problem. The thing I can't find out is whether I need a charging card. I assume I do, but how does this work in England? Where can I apply for a card? Do all cards work on all public chargers as they do in the Netherlands?

Kind regards,

Daniel

P.S. I posted this thread earlier in the charging UK forum but received no answers.

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like an interesting trip and potentially a (good?) adventure! I don't yet have my Model S although I have confirmed my order, but I do have a Renault Zoe which uses a type 2 charging connector. In the UK, the charging infrastructure is currently somewhat fragmented and most people carry cards for several networks with them. Given the places you are likely to go, I would recommend that you look at SourceLondon (https://www.sourcelondon.net/ costs £10 to register, free charges till June next year when ownership will change), Chargemaster (http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.php/polar_online/ received this free with my Zoe) and Ecotricity (http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road free for first year unless you get power from Ecotricity). What I don't know is how to go about getting these cards if you are outside the UK.

Not all of these charge points are type 2, but the maps show the types, although they are not all up to date. Ecotricity are focussing on highways and have higher power chargers. Waitrose supermarkets mostly have Chargemaster charge points in their car parks, generally one 16A and one 32A. Source London tend to be more varied.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want to know more.

Nick.

Daniel,

The route you describe passes multiple Ecotricity chargers. Their latest sites all use the DBT DC/AC rapid chargers that Renault and Nissan have been deploying (the green ones here).

These have a 43kW, 63A three phase Type 2 Mennekes connection, which will work with the Model S at 11kW or 22kW if you got the twin charge option. There are several at IKEA stores if you don't fancy a motorway service area. Ecotricity has given cards to non-UK drivers before, including one of your countrymen. Maybe ask Paul from Ecotricity (Electric Highway (ElecHighway) on Twitter)

You also have the ZeroNet 32A Mennekes stations (see here) which require no card. There is one at Portsmouth.

If all else fails, I may be able to get you a charge at Portsmouth. It would be good to see you and the car on the way by anyway :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Goodmorning everybody,

Hileyms inquired at ecotricity if their swipe cards can be obtained form abroad. They can, so I wil apply for one. Together with the cardless zeronet network we should be able to load without difficulties.

The situation in Spain seems less favorable. I can load in paradores (thanks to Mark, the man who made a daring trip from Tilburg to Madrid in his brand new Model S!), but I would like to be able to use public chargers as well. On the other hand, the trip from Bilbao to Asturias is about 280km. With a full battery that's no problem, so I should top off in Portmouth with a range charge.

Ik will inquire at brittany ferries (Portsmouth - Bilbao) and Stena (Hoek van Holland - Harwich) if I can load on board, that would also make things easier.

Kind regards!

Daniel

It's unlikely you will be able to charge on board (there was a scare story after a fire on DFDS a few years ago). However, I did find the ferry workers really helpful allowing charging at the docks when I went with Stena Line.

There were some people who charged on the Stena HVH-H route before word got out. So worth asking maybe!

Nevertheless, we can get you fully charged at Portsmouth.

I've made the ferry reservations earlier today. We will be travelling from Hoek van Holland to Harwich on Thursday the 19th of December, departure at 22.30. The ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao leaves on Sunday 22nd at 22.30. We depart from Bilbao to Portsmouth the 2nd of january, arriving the next day in Portsmouth. Our ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland leaves on the 5th.

I have made an apply for the ecotricity card. I'd be most gratefull for tips regarding hotels on the route that facilitate charging!

Charging in Spain is more complicated. In Bilbao there are quite a few public chargepoints with type 2 3 fase 11 kW connections from the IBIL network. However, I still have to find out where to apply for a card.

Thanks Charlie, I will take a look at the hotels listed. It's also possible to charge the car in the stena line ship, they have two spots available for electric cars. I will inquire at Brittanie ferries whether it's alsp possible to load in their ship.

By the way, after waiting for almost a year yesterday I received my Model S. To summarize the driving experience: WOW!

Cool. I would say don't rely on it though. Also be absolutely sure what outlets they have. I have seen 5 pin three phase with no neutral connected (so useless for 1 phase).

If you can get a charge up before leaving then do. I can offer 32A in Winchester (40 km from Portsmouth) and I'm near a nice hotel.

Cool. I would say don't rely on it though. Also be absolutely sure what outlets they have. I have seen 5 pin three phase with no neutral connected (so useless for 1 phase).

If you can get a charge up before leaving then do. I can offer 32A in Winchester (40 km from Portsmouth) and I'm near a nice hotel.

Thanks for the offer! We're currently figuring out what to see and where to stay during our three and two day stays. Stonehenge (combined with Salisbury? The best western red lion hotel there has a type 2 charger) is one of the possible destinations. Sofar, we've only been in London before, so every destination outside London is new to us. We ordered a guide, but have not received it yet. Is Winchester a must see? :biggrin:

Britanny ferries has sent me a confirmation by e-mail regarding the on board charging. I suppose/hope they have schuko and/or BS1363 outlets :crying:. If not, we should be able to charge in Bilbao while visiting the Guggenheim.

Winchester is a nice small city with famous cathedral, pleasant to spend a few hours walking around and good restaurants. We are 40km east of Salisbury via Stockbridge. And it's definitely possible to see Stonehenge based in Salisbury.

The Red Lion is a nice stop too. Maybe stay there the night before, get charged up and then you can top off at mine on the way to Portsmouth (so Salisbury - 40km - Winchester - 40km - Portsmouth).

It may be worth asking what the ferry has and if they can send pictures. I found out that the standard for refrigerated trailers is 3x32A red CEE, but this was the one that (on my ferry) had no neutral. I'm not sure if that lack of neutral is the same everywhere. Can the Model S charge with no neutral?

A friend of mine is 2nd officer on the Stena Line ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwhich and they have installed Type 2 chargers on the ferries.

They can't be reserved, it's on a first come, first serve basis. But the spots are reserved for EV's.

A friend of mine is 2nd officer on the Stena Line ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwhich and they have installed Type 2 chargers on the ferries.

They can't be reserved, it's on a first come, first serve basis. But the spots are reserved for EV's.

That's good news, I wasn't expecting type 2 chargers on board stena line! I quite sure Brittany ferries do not not have type 2 chargers on board their ferries. They did ask what kind of outletI needed and I told a standard outlet like the ones at home was enough. With that information they contacted the boat and received a go.

- - - Updated - - -

Daniel,
Congrats on getting your car. I really envy the sense of community you have on this thread.

Thanks! It's certainly is really nice to see the way people help each other.

I'm guessing you're on the ferry now Daniel. Let us know how you get on with the charging :)
Well, I talked to my friend and he works at P&O and not Stena Line!

I always mix up those two since I used Stena Line that much. He got "angry" at me for confusing those two again.

So It's P&O who offers charging for EVs from Hoek van Holland to Hull.

I'm guessing you're on the ferry now Daniel. Let us know how you get on with the charging :)

Charging on the stena line Ferry went fine, they also have a type 2 16A charging station.

We had breakfast at the service station on the M25 next to the intersection with the A13. That station has a ecotricity 3 phase charging station, worked fine with the card we received!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387569518.120175.jpg

In Canterburry we parked at the whitefriars parking garage. They have two common BS 1363 outlets. They gave Some problems with the tesla UMC, which us picky about the polarity. Using the schuko adapter and a extension cord I got the UMC working.

Now we're at the best western hotel in Maidstone. We chose this hotel as it has one type 2 charging station, but it gives only 13A (16 if the tesla bug is solved). By Tomorrow morning the tesla should be fully (range) charged.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387569549.352473.jpg