Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trolls/shorts/those with no interest in tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we all can point to those who have recently joined just to throw fuel on the fire threads or doubt on others. the site stated interest is for tesla enthusiasts not those with alternate goals.

i would propose that posting be allowed to those who own the cars and or have at least reservations if not orders pending.

others could of course review the posts but not log in. i don't want to limit people browsing. i learned alot about the car before ordering it by reading here. i doubt anyone at that point would require more answers than someone has posted here already and of course the tesla stores can be contacted for those.

what do others think?

This would not be a good policy. There are several who have made excellent contributions on this site who are neither owners nor reservation holders.

Exactly the person with the most posts on this site is TEG, who has no Tesla.
And doug is the administrator who also has no Tesla.

Besides a rule like that would be impossible to enforce.

You are mistaken. Everyone who posts here, including trolls, have an interest in Tesla. It's just not always the same interest as yours, or mine, or the guy next door's.

In the spirit of this forum, your suggestion is not going to be considered, but you're always free to start your own forum and command whatever rules you want.

You are mistaken. Everyone who posts here, including trolls, have an interest in Tesla. It's just not always the same interest as yours, or mine, or the guy next door's.

In the spirit of this forum, your suggestion is not going to be considered, but you're always free to start your own forum and command whatever rules you want.

with all due respect, a simple i dont agree would suffice and perhaps it wont be considered, just an idea. i do appreciate your granting me the freedom to start my own forum.

There are plenty who don't own a Tesla or have a reservation who want/like to post here (for example fans or people waiting for models further down the road; I'm one of them), so I don't think that's a good policy. I think the moderators and long term members are doing a good job of keeping trolls in check.

with all due respect, a simple i dont agree would suffice and perhaps it wont be considered, just an idea.

Actually it's been asked about and considered many times. I do think about it periodically. The conclusion we always come to is it doesn't really work for us. Our scope is larger than just owners. Also verification would be difficult. Tesla Motors used to have an owners only forum, even they eventually just made it public. If you think someone might be a troll, simply report such posts.

We do have a groups feature where members can have public or private discussions. They're basically a member moderated somewhat limited version of forums. We have it primarily for local clubs, but there is an "other" category that can be used for well... other. Of course forum rules still apply.

perhaps you could add tags (each with their own icons of some sort?) around the avatar pic to identify/describe the member the user with some sort of registration/verification process. sort of like junior/senior member (which is kinda useless IMO), but more domain-relevant with cool icons. tags could be something like:

enum {
Lurker,
VerifiedVoltOwner,
Verified[insertEVhere]Owner,
VerifiedModelSOwner, (current or former)
VerifiedRoadsterOwner,
VerifiedModelSReservationHolder,
ProbablyATroll,
VerifiedModelXReservationHolder,
PotentialGenIIIFutureOwner,
IAmATroll,
PotentialCompactGenIIICrossoverFutureOwner,
PotentialTeslaTruckFutureOwner,
SolarCityCustomer,
ISpendTooMuchTimeOnTheseForums,
ISmashedUpMyModelSButHaveAnotherOnOrderOwner,
VerifiedTroll,
Trolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
}

multiple tags allowed :)

Why do I have this vision of bits of gold and feathers strewn across the floor? You two play nice now, ok?

On the original subject: it's almost impossible to verify, I know of one member no longer with us who was apparently less than truthful WRT owning a Model S.

perhaps you could add tags (each with their own icons of some sort?) around the avatar pic to identify/describe the member the user with some sort of registration/verification process. sort of like junior/senior member (which is kinda useless IMO), but more domain-relevant with cool icons. tags could be something like:

enum {
Lurker,
VerifiedVoltOwner,
Verified[insertEVhere]Owner,
VerifiedModelSOwner, (current or former)
VerifiedRoadsterOwner,
VerifiedModelSReservationHolder,
ProbablyATroll,
VerifiedModelXReservationHolder,
PotentialGenIIIFutureOwner,
IAmATroll,
PotentialCompactGenIIICrossoverFutureOwner,
PotentialTeslaTruckFutureOwner,
SolarCityCustomer,
ISpendTooMuchTimeOnTheseForums,
ISmashedUpMyModelSButHaveAnotherOnOrderOwner,
VerifiedTroll,
Trolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
}

multiple tags allowed :)

i really like the TAG (badge) concept (like the Teslive badge). At the very least their should be a badge for Owners