Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Electric cars are killing jobs!!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Apparently, electric cars are not only harmful to the market, they are also killing jobs:

Electric Cars Are Job Killers | The Truth About Cars

obsoleteparts.gif

“The rise of electric vehicles will spell more than the demise of just the internal combustion engine,” says the Nikkei. “Transmissions and braking systems will likely be replaced by electric control motors as well. A gasoline-powered car consists of roughly 30,000 parts, half of them related to the engine. Electric vehicles are expected to require one-tenth of that.”

I believe it's called progress. Btw, I'm pretty sure friction brakes will be around for a while.

Last edited:
I'm glad he brought up desktop publishing. Though he could mention that the machines that build ICE engines will be needed to make Electric Motors.

One more thing that I would like to have read was all the good that will come about when ICEs are phased out (oil use, smog, less maintenance, etc.)

Other dead or semi-dead formats mentioned, blacksmiths, carriages, vinyl LPs, cassettes, VHS, photo chemical based cameras, factory welding - painting,..

Those Jiffy Lubes, AAmco stations, Muffler shops, and are on the list as well. If you want to be on the car biz, better to be in the tire, brake, windshield side.

Cool to imagine the day when there will be after market hand wound motors to put in your Tesla. Jay Leno, take note.

I remember when Kodak started to panic over the digital camera era.

I recently went to the store to try to get a roll of 35mm film and they had only one roll of one brand tucked away in a corner (amidst a bunch of flash memory sticks) instead of a whole big rack like they had a few years ago.

I entered the computer world just after punch cards and paper tape were replaced by rudimentary mainframe terminals and magnetic tape.
Some machines still sported a punch card or paper tape reader, but they weren't being used anymore. I am sure the manufacturers of those devices were crying foul at the advent of terminal input and magnetic tape.

Also I grew up in the generation right before microwave ovens and remote control TV sets became popular. How did we get by without them?

Then there is the whole vinyl->8-track->cassette->CD->flash-MP3 evolution.

Ubiquitous $.10 payphones were from an era that left with deregulation and eventual cellphone dominance.

Having to write a check for everything is also a distant memory with credit cards, direct deposit and recurring automatic bill pay the norm now.

Funny the things that seem most important as progress when you start to have enough years to look back a bit.