Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,200 fewer gas tanker deliveries on our roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did some math and determined with all the Model S on the road ... 20,000 ... that there are 1,200 fewer gas tanker deliveries to be made per annum?
Numbers: tanker 10,000 gallons approx.
Model S replaces an ICE burning 20 miles per gallon gallon.
12,000 miles per annum average. 12,000 / 20 = 600 gallons
600 gallons x 20,000 cars. 12,000,000 gallons
12,000,000 gallons , 10000 tanker = 1,200 tankers.

This make sense? Then add Leaf's, Roadsters, Volts, etc. double it?

You tell me, Einstein! :)

100 gallons, excuse me, litres in the UK; per 3 days? Per truck. No idea.
10,000 gallons per truck per year?
Of which what percentage of their deliveries were EV? Less than 1%?
Average distance between refinery (loading area) and gas (petrol/diesel) station?

Then what is the percentage of oil saved?

Considering that 46% of the oil in the USA is used for gasoline what is the percentage of oil saved thanks to the Model S?

Attachments

• gasoline consumption.png
    gasoline consumption.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 276
According to this article of the U.S. EIA total number of gasoline gallons used in the USA is 133 billion gallons.

How much gasoline does the United States consume? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

12 million gallons of gasoline saved thanks to the Model S corresponds to a percentage of almost 0,1% of gasoline saved and almost 0,05% of oil saved.
I would be happy when Tesla will make save at least 12 billion gallons of gasoline corresponding to almost 10% of gasoline saved and almost 5% of oil saved.
Maybe that this will happen in 3 years when the Model E will be launched?

The point is made earlier in this thread that that the total number of gallons save by electric vehicles is far far larger than just Teslas. Most of us would probably agree that Tesla's mission has been to serve as a catalyst for EVs and it appears beyond obvious that cars like the Ford Focus EV or the BMW i3 would not have happened without a strong nudge from Musk and company. I'm frankly not sure if Tesla has prompted owners to buy solar or green-minded people just naturally gravitate toward Tesla, but I suspect that both is true. In terms of other eco-friendly behavior, I'm impressed with the synergy between EVs, solar, conservation, cost-reduction, and energy efficiency. It's all good . . . and hopefully the synergy will experience exponential growth.

You tell me, Einstein! :)

100 gallons, excuse me, litres in the UK; per 3 days? Per truck. No idea.
10,000 gallons per truck per year?
Of which what percentage of their deliveries were EV? Less than 1%?
Average distance between refinery (loading area) and gas (petrol/diesel) station?

It's likely refinery, fuel distribution center, gas station, so the gasoline trucks' routes are closer to a hub.

SO here's something else to consider,
remember road damage is axle wt^4
9 axle; 80,000 lbs of gas per tanker,

by driving a Model S vs a regular car, you have only caused 2% of the damage of a regular car on the road due to tanker deliveries if the miles are the same

(80 K/9)^4 *9 axles* 1200 tankers

vs Model S
(4750/2)^4*2 axles *12000 cars

So what does that say about road taxes. If a car is paying $50 than a Model S should be paying $1. Interesting, interesting.