Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sjj

Mar 9, 2009
Anybody, particularly in Washington State, have any positive or negative experiences, advice, etc. regarding insurance, insurers or particular agents vis-a-vis insuring a Tesla Roadster?

A search for "insurance" turned up this thread. But no replies. Are Roadster owners getting their cars insured for comp and collision? If so, what companies are providing insurance? Or are they going with only liability insurance?

I hope very soon to be taking delivery of a conversion EV, and while I have liability insurance on it, my insurance agent was unable to provide comp and collision due to the unknown costs that could be incurred in the event of an accident. I asked about getting comp and collision insurance that would cover only the conventional parts if I were to accept responsibility on the drive train, and she told me that all insurance policies have to be approved by the state insurance commissioner, so that she cannot just write a custom policy.

What experience are folks having regarding insurance on these cars?

Thanks.

Daniel

“A Testerossa you say?”… “Road Star, is it an off-road vehicle?”… “No problem sir, just that we can only cover you for 3,000 miles a year!” and of course the perennial fav. “Let me get back to you…click…brrrrrrr” – Just some of the bizarre responses to the basic “I’d like to add a Tesla Roadster to my policy.”

The good news is the State Farm said “Let me find out…” followed up by “I promised I’d call you in twenty minutes but we need to do some more research; just letting you know” followed up by “I have some good news, we can cover you fully comp and more than likely improve on your home and car insurance as a whole”.

Credit where it’s due, Louis Castiglia of Jean DiGrande State Farm did all the leg work and presented me with a better home and car policy than my current set up, then added the roadster for reasonable money. An hour later and we’re all set.

Louis also took the time to explain the details of auto insurance in NJ to me, a brit with little to no grasp of the whole US auto biz, so thanks.

If you’re in the area and need cover:

Louis Castiglia of Jean DiGrande - State Farm
560 Mountain Avenue, Gillette, NJ 07933.
+1-908-647-4262 State Farm Agent Jean DiGrande

Insurance — happy with yours? List them here.

It might be helpful if roadster owners listed who they use for insurance and whether they're satisfied. Especially those who have had to file claims.

Listing the prices paid would also help us be competitive shoppers and perhaps garner a discount if we threaten to switch.

Funny story: When I called Progressive the rep on the phone didn't know what a Tesla was and said it wasn't in their computer system. She tried working with her supervisor, had me on hold for ten minutes, but ultimately gave up. And this from the sponsors of the auto-X prize!

I've got State Farm as well, and find them very easy to deal with and they were by far the lowest price when I was shopping around. It was my second car with them and I also have condoowners insurance as well there. I haven't made any claims though.

When you test drive a car at a dealership, whose insurance is the car covered under?

When I test drove the Roadster no one mentioned anything about insurance coverage. But part of me wonders if they expected me (and most of their clientele) to have comprehensive/collision that extends to their car, as it would to other rentals.

I've researched commercial insurance policies and find it pretty unbelievable that a company would insure, even a dealership, against damages to brand new cars driven by strangers off the street. Anyone in the car sales business know this for sure?

There is an extensive Insurance thread (at least there was) on the Tesla owners forum. Rates and locations etc. are often listed. Plus plenty of stories of "never heard of it."

I'm combined with home and life.

I started with Progressive in Massachusetts and was quoted $1600 per 6 months for both my 2007 STi and the Tesla Roadster (would be about $1300 for just the Roadster). However, my renewal just came up (about a month later) and they're now asking for $2080 pear 6 months -- 25% increase. Their excuse? They're new to MA and grossly under-estimated the cost of paying out claims for this state. I got no warning -- just a bill for an amount higher than I'd signed up for. I'll be looking around now to see what others would charge me.
BTW I have no "points" against my driving record -- MA is just an expensive insurance area :-(
I've only been with Progressive for 2 years and been generally happy (no claims to test that process though) until now.