Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing FLAC files?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had understood that FLAC files were supported. I used Audacity to convert a set of .WAV files to .FLAC. When I put my USB drive in place Sound Studio does not recognize any playable content. Is there anything I need to know about:

- file extension?
- format options?

The USB is formatted as FAT32. It is a 32GB Sandisk Cruz. The sounds system plays .WAV, .mp3 and .m4a files from the drive just fine. Just not the .FLAC file(s). I am guessing there must be some encoding setting that is not supported. I've successfully played the .FLAC files using two different players.

I'm looking at one example I burned from CD using Helium -- 873kbps, variable bitrate, using reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917. The filename shows up when I look 'by folder' on the media player in the car -- "01 - INXS - Guns In The Sky.flac"

The album art also shows up when playing by artist, which was a nice surprise.

I'm looking at one example I burned from CD using Helium -- 873kbps, variable bitrate, using reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917. The filename shows up when I look 'by folder' on the media player in the car -- "01 - INXS - Guns In The Sky.flac"

The album art also shows up when playing by artist, which was a nice surprise.

I wonder if perhaps the file name itself is not formatted in a way that is expected. I will look at that as a possibility.

My car play .flac files fine. It won't however, play any songs with umlauts in the file name. They don't even show up on the drive.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why certain songs wouldn't even show up on the drive and this was the issue. Renamed removing the accents, umlauts, etc., and now the songs appear on the drive and play just fine. Thanks!

FLAC files work great for me as long as they're in stereo. I tried some 5.1 FLAC files but they don't play unfortunately. Most of my music is in FLAC format. Also I tried a USB drive formatted with the Linux EXT4 filesystem. It works great!

OK, update. If I browse by folder I can find and play the .flac files directly. But they do not show up on Artist or Album browse. May be a file/folder naming issue. I will check into that. I couldn't notice much difference between .flac or .m4a files. I am using the +6, -3, 0 EQ settings recommended here in the forums. But maybe my hearing is compromised from too many concerts younger in life. :)

I'm using EXT4 myself. I found I have a lot fewer problems with illegal characters in long file names if I use EXT2/4 instead of FAT32. The artist and album information also shows up just fine for me, though in my case I ripped all of my own CDs to FLAC.

OK, update. If I browse by folder I can find and play the .flac files directly. But they do not show up on Artist or Album browse. May be a file/folder naming issue. I will check into that. I couldn't notice much difference between .flac or .m4a files. I am using the +6, -3, 0 EQ settings recommended here in the forums. But maybe my hearing is compromised from too many concerts younger in life. :)

Feel your concert pain…even with that I can hear much better base/lows with Flac files but .m4a is way better than <256 mp3!

Is anyone using .oga files?

I used "Max" to convert a bunch of Apple Lossless to FLAC and it created files with the .oga extension. They play fine, but when I try to browse the thumb drive, the browsing automatically advances through the songs, at about one per second and I have to force focus by repeated pressing the playhead before a song will play. After the song completes, the player continues advancing through each song.

I'm wondering if I need to have the .ogg or the .flac extension instead of .oga.

I'm using EXT4 myself. I found I have a lot fewer problems with illegal characters in long file names if I use EXT2/4 instead of FAT32. The artist and album information also shows up just fine for me, though in my case I ripped all of my own CDs to FLAC.

I'm wondering if it has a length cutoff or something. Many of mine have very long (>30 character) album and artist names.