Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Forum comments on news about Model S fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd start a thread on this since there has been news about a third fire. After reading the stories of what happens, it makes me wonder if it could happen in Hawaii. We don't have the best roads and debris is common. However, the most important thing I have learned from the stories is that the MS actually warns the driver to pull over and get out of the car. What other car does that? No buyer's remorse from me.

I am not trying to pick a "fight" but everyone ... come one ... the more threads we start about these 3 (only THREE) fires, we're starting to sound paranoid / hysterical about it. We should all be acting CALM.

As in KEEP CALM AND DRIVE ON. :)

Otherwise the press will have a field day out of an hysteria we're creating for NO GOOD REASON!

Thanks ... off my pulpit.

I am not trying to pick a "fight" but everyone ... come one ... the more threads we start about these 3 (only THREE) fires, we're starting to sound paranoid / hysterical about it. We should all be acting CALM.

As in KEEP CALM AND DRIVE ON. :)

Otherwise the press will have a field day out of an hysteria we're creating for NO GOOD REASON!

Thanks ... off my pulpit.

How true! Thanks for your comments, sp4rk. As I said, I feel that the MS is still the safest car to drive.

+1..still the best and safest car out there for me. While our roads here may not be the best, especially after heavy rains, I'm still not worried...

As for the media....hopefully they'll realize by reading the various threads that alot of MS owners aren't too concerned about these fires and still consider the MS the safest car around :)

But, perhaps there's something to be concerned over...sure they would see that we as owners are not concerned if they read into the forums, however. . . . . . . . . . . When was the last time the media actually researched something before reporting it? :tongue:

Not worried about our car but expecting an announcement any day now from Tesla that they're going to raise the height of the car at highway speed for those cars with air suspension to try to avoid these issues.

I got an email from a coworker with a link to the news and making the comment that her Audi hasn't had any problems with fires.

Oh really?

Unbelievable Audi R8 Caught Fire While Running - YouTube
Audi on Fire - YouTube
AUDI A8L in fire - YouTube
Audi on Fire / Udi ;( - YouTube
Car on fire in Lingdale Audi A3 26/12/10 - YouTube
Audi Fire - YouTube
Audi car on fire - YouTube

etc etc etc etc

One of those videos above shows the Audi PARKED in a parking lot burning (meaning it caught fire on its own) without even the benefit of running into highway debris or being driven onto a rail.

The old phrase about glass houses comes to mind ... :)

Oh really?

Unbelievable Audi R8 Caught Fire While Running - YouTube
Audi on Fire - YouTube
AUDI A8L in fire - YouTube
Audi on Fire / Udi ;( - YouTube
Car on fire in Lingdale Audi A3 26/12/10 - YouTube
Audi Fire - YouTube
Audi car on fire - YouTube

etc etc etc etc

One of those videos above shows the Audi PARKED in a parking lot burning (meaning it caught fire on its own) without even the benefit of running into highway debris or being driven onto a rail.

The old phrase about glass houses comes to mind ... :)

Thanks, spleen. I will pass some of the links on to her.

Like Elon said. The incidents have been getting an undue amount of press considering how much more likely you would be involved in a vehicle fire with an ICE car. Plus, everyone so far in the Model S has gotten out safely of any accident without serious injury. This will pass and we will still be driving the safest car on the planet.

When people bring up the fires and say I should be worried, I tell them that the car alerted the owners that service was needed and shut itself down so they were able to just walk away safely...what ICE car does that? this is the look I get :eek:

Spleen called the solution on 11/09/13 in this thread and less than a week later Tesla raised the height of the MS at highway speed with 5.8 software. My guess is that this fix is a short-term fix until the media circus calms down. At some point drivers will be given the option of cruising at low setting or standard height. In the meantime, we will get a chance to see how effective a height raise will be at preventing these occasional opportunities for someone to go after Tesla.

I think it's good psychologically for the buying public as well as the stock though realistically, who knows if it'll make any difference? Agreed that it's likely to be a short term move while they investigate and suspect that the low setting will be back as an option in the future (with appropriate disclaimers, of course)

I am surprised the media is not reporting our 5.8 upgrade rollout to everyone as significant in the effort to reduce the chances of running over something in the road by eliminating our option to let the car lower itself on the highway. (Whew, that was a mouthful, did I say that right?)

Last edited: