Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs "harmful to the market"???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I find this part interesting

Developing a good electric motor is undoubtedly worthwhile. But it will still cost a lot more money than has already been spent, and pretending that electric cars are ready for mass production today is not only misleading but counterproductive. The public euphoria over the electric car is actually "harmful to the market," explains Bernd Bohr, the head of the automobile division at Bosch. According to Bohr, some consumers, loath to spend money on what they believe to be obsolete technology, are holding off on buying new cars with gasoline engines.
Is he right or is he just saying, ("we need you buy the cars we are making now.")?
Also this paragragh suggests that there is demand out there for electric cars

Last edited by a moderator:
"Harmful to the market"???

But how else does any innovation get established? It could be argued that car makers have been largely resistant to true innovation, prefering to tweak existing technology. The rise of Electric Vehicles is forcing them out of their traditional comfort zones. They have shown themselves to be resistant to Technology Push. Now suddenly there's a real and uncomfortable tug of Market Pull.

If the present stirrings of demand for EVs were to die out, then most automakers would cancel development programs - why develop something the public doesn't want?

It is unfortunate that this transition in transportation development has coincided with one of the worst financial slumps in decades, and I think what he's really complaining about is automakers having to show EV concepts and some level of eco-commitment at a time when they would rather be doing something easier and cheaper.

As the news of Model S spreads, the pressure on the manufacturers and vendors of "old tech" is only going to increase.

Last edited:
Harmful to Bosch's market for overpriced ECUs...

PeterW said:
Are you saying that the prospect of the Model S is (or is going to) be a major stimulus for the demand of EV's?

We can certainly hope so. If the car lives up to expectations then it should certainly open a few eyes to what is possible - typically at the level of decision makers.

some have said that the Tesla roadster will take its place in history as the car that started the electric vehicle revival.

I think this is very likely.

Early EVs may be compared to the early 1980s, brick-like mobile/cell phones - which looked more like military field telephones in shape if not in colour.

In the late 1990s mobile phones became desirable products through more acceptable styling and improved functionality - exactly what Tesla has achieved with the Roadster.

It will be interesting to see how far the demand for EVs manages to parallel the growth in personal telecommunications devices:-

The exploding worldwide popularity of mobile telephones, beyond even Nokia's most optimistic predictions, caused a logistics crisis in the mid-1990s. This prompted Nokia to overhaul its entire logistics operation. Logistics continues to be one of Nokia's major advantages over its rivals, along with greater economies of scale.

Nokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early EVs may be compared to the early 1980s, brick-like mobile/cell phones - which looked more like military field telephones in shape if not in colour.

In the late 1990s mobile phones became desirable products through more acceptable styling and improved functionality - exactly what Tesla has achieved with the Roadster.

Tesla has used the cellphone analogy many times. Also to point out that people are comfortable leavings their cellphones on chargers over night and not worrying too much about recharge time.

The EV1 was considered by many a desirable EV (in search of better batteries), so the Roadster will have to share a bit of the history with it. The EV1 will always be immortalized in "Who Killed the Electric Car".

According to Bohr, some consumers, loath to spend money on what they believe to be obsolete technology, are holding off on buying new cars with gasoline engines.

Are there really that many people doing this? I suppose a Ferrari or Lamborghini dealer could feel a pinch from the Roadster, but the Model S is years away. I suppose it is easy to blame EVs in some small way for the way car sales have stopped due to the economy.

For a parts supplier like Bosch I think they would be most concerned with mass market sales of lower priced vehicles which consume a lot more of the parts they build.

According to Bohr, some consumers, loath to spend money on what they believe to be obsolete technology, are holding off on buying new cars with gasoline engines.
Are there really that many people doing this?

I've heard reports of people waiting till 2010 so that their next car can be electric (at the level of the Volt at least). There I don't think the motivation is about obsolete technology, more about getting off oil for various reasons. The argument about obsolete technology concerns would be better applied to those waiting for the next generation of electric cars after what's currently available.

Last edited:
Another theme from "Who Killed the Electric Car" was to point out that GMs lethargic ads for the EV1 were likely due to the fact that they couldn't tout its' benefits too strongly because it made the rest of their product line look bad. At least Tesla won't have to worry about cutting into their own gas car sales.

There's always that old fear - "never buy version 1.0 of anything" - but early adopters laugh in the face of such concerns anyway.

Joe Public is trying to quit mass consumption (for economic rather than environmental reasons) and the manufacturers are, understandably, getting nervous.

So the answer is yes, EV's are harmful to the market?
Because the market is ICE vehicles.
To even look at EV's requires alot of R&D. This would be hard enough during good times let alone with the current economic climate. We (the automotive industry) don't want to work on electric cars but we do not have a choice; others are, so we can not afford to be left behind.

That is my take on things anyway.

Thanks Tesla

Well, yeah, from the viewpoint of company that wants to make ICE vehicles, having to get your little EV R&D team into making a real production ready product is a pain for them. Tesla basically pushed them to do that for image reasons. But the comment was about consumers, not the manufacturers...

Has the interest in EVs really gotten to the point that there are enough people waiting on car purchases until the EV they want is made? I don't think so. Some thousands of Tesla and Aptera wait list orders are a tiny blip. I think most people who are choosing not to buy right now are doing it for financial reasons.

In the end it shouldn't matter too much for Mr. Bohr. Bosch makes parts that will be useful in EVs as well.

Has the interest in EVs really gotten to the point that there are enough people waiting on car purchases until the EV they want is made? I don't think so. Some thousands of Tesla and Aptera wait list orders are a tiny blip. I think most people who are choosing not to buy right now are doing it for financial reasons.

I agree that the drop in demand for vehicles has little to do with the demand for EV's. But Bohr says that it is making things worse. He is talking about a discrepancy between the cars that are available now and the public expectation of what will be available in the near future.
He says that expectation is unfounded.

I for one am waiting on my next purchase to get the Model S or whatever equivalent comes out first. My decision has nothing to do with financial times. Just that my car will last until I can get a new one that I want. If I needed to get one now I would buy and ICE I suppose. I doubt that I would even buy a Prius or something like that. Just not my style.

I find this part interesting

Is he right or is he just saying, ("we need you buy the cars we are making now.")?
Also this paragragh suggests that there is demand out there for electric cars

Is it possible that some programmers (working at Tesla) have managed to write some software to bypass all/most of what Bosch is currently selling? e.g. ABS, ESC, Radar Cruise, Lane detect, etc etc...
Could it just be sour grapes ?
GH

Is it possible that some programmers (working at Tesla) have managed to write some software to bypass all/most of what Bosch is currently selling? e.g. ABS, ESC, Radar Cruise, Lane detect, etc etc...
Could it just be sour grapes ?
GH

This thread is six years old.
The original statement had nothing to do with Tesla bypassing Bosch as the Model S was a drawing at that point.