Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a fix for the Roadster 80A charging bug.

This will enable Roadsters to charge from unmodified Clipper Creek CS-100 charging stations.

The Roadster is still limited to 70A charging, as increasing that limit would presumably require hardware upgrades.

Update January 16, 2014 The firmware update is now available. Yesterday, I got the update and a car wash at no charge for our out-of-warranty v1.5 Roadster.

The details from Danny at the Seattle service center are:

v1.5 firmware is 3.6.12 and is just the 80A fix.
v2.x firmware is 4.6.8 which fixes the 80A bug and allows shifting from drive to reverse at up to 5 mph

dsm363 confirmed the 80A fix on a 2.x Roadster. I've confirmed the 80A fix on a v1.5 Roadster.

Last edited:
jeez I spent a ton of time developing a solution for this over the last several months and was about to start offering it to people. That's OK, fixing the bug is a better solution. My first prototype that I had at TESLIVE in July didn't meet code apparently (I had it reviewed by an EE) so I developed another solution and just barely tested it. Well I knew it was a risk and I still have the adapter without any electronics in it - the Model S to Roadster adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

The best news here is that we will soon be able to charge from the ubiquitous Model S HPWCs.

Tom had been working on this for years I think.
I think with Jerome taking over that made a big difference. Thanks Tom for working on this and thanks to Jerome for finally fixing this bug.

does it allow higher than 80amp charges or just able to handshake with high amperage charges?

I haven't tested it, but I'm quite certain it just solves the problem reading the pilot signal to allow 70A charging at 80A-capable stations.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom had been working on this for years I think.
I didn't get interested in this until a few months ago when I found out that Sun Country Highway had installed 145 CS-90s rather than 80A CS-100s because of the Roadster bug. My role was just informing Tesla that this Roadster bug was having an impact on the Model S community.

Thanks to Bonnie for discovering and documenting this problem years ago. Thanks to her work, Tesla was well aware of the issue and had put enough thought into it that they were able to get the fix out pretty quickly when it became a bigger issue.

I think with Jerome taking over that made a big difference. Thanks Tom for working on this and thanks to Jerome for finally fixing this bug.
It sounds like Scott451 (now a Tesla employee) may have played a role in this as well. Thanks to everyone at Tesla who still remembers and supports the Roadster community.

FYI Sun Country Highway has now switched over to 80A stations, and won't be stocking 70A anymore, so the timing on this is perfect.

I checked with our service center and the update has not been released yet, but they promised to install it for me once it is available.

Thanks to Bonnie for discovering and documenting this problem years ago. Thanks to her work, Tesla was well aware of the issue and had put enough thought into it that they were able to get the fix out pretty quickly when it became a bigger issue.

It sounds like Scott451 (now a Tesla employee) may have played a role in this as well. Thanks to everyone at Tesla who still remembers and supports the Roadster community.

Yep, it's my understanding that Scott451 had a hand in fixing this problem. As soon as I get this fix, I'll take it back to the original 'scene of the crime' and go thru the original steps that first uncovered the problem.

I'll give a quick call to my local service center and let them know I'd like the update as soon as it is available.

Thank you for alerting us all that it is soon available. And thank you for keeping this at the top of the queue with Tesla. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be to find an 80amp J1772 in the wild and realize I couldn't charge!

is the fix just a firmware update or does it involve hardware changes? my roadster is going in for minor service (GPS stopped working after annual service a few weeks ago) in a couple weeks so i'll ask about getting it then. thanks!