Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cigarette Butt in Front Air Dam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
The first time it happened, it took me two or three days of driving with my Roadster smelling of a foul cigarette stink before I was able to figure out what happened.

Someone apparently tossed a burning cigarette out of a car window in front of me and it got sucked up in the front air dam of the Roadster. Then it took some difficulty figuring how to get it out since it was wedged back about 18 inches behind the front grill crossbars on the cabin air intakes. Getting it out, and assorted leaves I found in there, was finally accomplished by using a a 1/2 pipe to get through the front grill crossbars taped to a vacuum cleaner nozzle .

The second time it happened, I was on a multi-lane limited access urban highway in the rain and I saw the cigarette tossed so I knew what happened but it was equally as repugnant driving the Roadster smelling of an old wet cigarette until I could get home and get it out.

Yesterday, for a third time, my Roadster picked up another cigarette butt the same way. An absolutely foul smell until I could get home.

Am I just unlucky, do I live in a unique area where people toss cigarette butts on crowded highways at speed, or has this happened to other Roadster owners?

And if it has happened to anyone else, has anyone come up with a solution for keeping it from happening? I suppose I could find a way to put some black screen behind the front grille crossbars but I am not sure how that would look and I am not even sure how to get in there to mount something like that.

The first time I thought it was bad luck, the second time I was not so sure, but the third time in two years I am now beginning to think that maybe I need to find a way to guard against this. Any thoughts?

I've never had it happen to my Roadster. I occasionally see people toss cigarette butts out car windows, but it certainly isn't commonplace here. The annoying thing is that they do tend to get drawn into the car's slipstream and hit the vehicle behind them.

Once while driving at night (not in the Roadster) I had a butt come in the window and hit me on the neck. I had to stop the car to make sure it wasn't in the back burning the upholstery. Apparently it bounced out the window again because I never found it.

Another night the guy in front of me tossed one out the window, and it hit the side of my windshield producing a big shower of sparks. The guy behind me apparently thought that I had tossed it and took great objection, flashing his light and running up to my rear several times. Geesh!

People who toss butts out the window are really obnoxious. Some of them have probably started wildfires.

I do think you've just had bad luck though.

I've actually picked up a cigarette butt some young girl threw out of her window before, I was on my motorcycle. She was at a redlight. I pulled up to her opened window, handed her the butt, and said, hey you dropped something. This really put her on the spot with a passenger in the car.

I don't understand why there is not a redemption value / deposit on each cigarette butt. 25 cents a butt, put that on the cost of each pack. I'm sure you'll start seeing less butts thrown out. And if any are they'll be picked up by the bums which now are working for their money rather than getting a free hand out.

Smokers are a different breed, they also should be subject to a smog test! I get sick of eating lunch outside at work and having an inconsiderate smoker walk only 10 ft upwind from me to light up so I can breath their toxic emissions. Hey if you want to smoke, go in your friggen car, roll up the windows, light up, and enjoy the 1st and 2nd hand smoke in privacy. I really need to carry a can of fart to counter act against that rudeness, at least the can of fart won't be bad for their health, but rather just smell.

@JohnGarziglia - you are close to North Carolina which is a Tobacco friendly / grow state. I can see why you have a higher likelyhood of having a stinky butt in your grill... not talking about teeth :)

Virginia also has a higher percentage of smokers compared to California where I've never encountered a butt in my grill:
Percent of Adults Who Smoke | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
Well ..... you think cigarette butts are bad .....
I was driving behind a big old SUV and guess what he ran over ........ A skunk!
I drove thru the spray and it got sucked into the front and circulated thru the cabin via the AC. I thought I was going to die. Rolled down windows, turned blower up, then turned blower off, then started screaming nasty words at the SUV. Took about 30min to get home. Walked into the house and my wife immediately kicked my out into the garage to take my cloths off, put them in a trash bag, go directly to the shower!! Had to leave garage door open with two fans blowing thru cabin and in the morning wash the car. Took a few days to get the smell out of the AC.

Cigarette butts are bad .... Skunk butts are worse!

It happened to me several times, driving in dense traffic between Zurich and Bern in Switzerland. Apart from that awful stink of cold cigarette smoke, it only really bothered me the first time, because I thought that the possibly still hot cigarette could damage something. That wasn't the case. Since then, I care a bit less, but get annoyed when people do it and wish there was a fine for littering here in Switzerland.

Last edited:
It could also be spite, I am afraid. At least twice now it looked liked someone spit on my car. With hard times in the local economy the Roadster looks like a rich man's luxury. In my case 25 years of diligent savings paid off in a used Roadster. Hard work can pay off but I am afraid some people do not look at the car that way.

Fortunately most do get it though.

It could also be spite, I am afraid. At least twice now it looked liked someone spit on my car. With hard times in the local economy the Roadster looks like a rich man's luxury. In my case 25 years of diligent savings paid off in a used Roadster. Hard work can pay off but I am afraid some people do not look at the car that way.

Fortunately most do get it though.

Is also likely person who's so brainwashed on petro and petro-run vehichles that he feels threatened by the EV.

Well ..... you think cigarette butts are bad .....
I was driving behind a big old SUV and guess what he ran over ........ A skunk!
I drove thru the spray and it got sucked into the front and circulated thru the cabin via the AC. I thought I was going to die. Rolled down windows, turned blower up, then turned blower off, then started screaming nasty words at the SUV. Took about 30min to get home. Walked into the house and my wife immediately kicked my out into the garage to take my cloths off, put them in a trash bag, go directly to the shower!! Had to leave garage door open with two fans blowing thru cabin and in the morning wash the car. Took a few days to get the smell out of the AC.

Cigarette butts are bad .... Skunk butts are worse!

Just imagine how bad it was for the SUV driver.

Cleaned out the front air dam, I found an Cigarette butt.. guess Roadsters are just susceptible to this.
Wonder if it makes a difference if it's a 1.5/2.0 or 2.5 since the air dams are different? Doubt we have a large enough sample size to decide but it's interesting. I've never had it happen in my 2.5 but I probably see someone toss out a cigarette 3 or 4 times/year.