Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tommy from China say hi, Tesla's electric car, do you know China BYD's eletric cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously, electric cars is the trend of tomorrow.
I'm from China, my name is Tommy. I would like to say hello to every one here. Hope god bless every one and your families here.
Tesla is a respected company and has nice electric cars.
People says that, it is not spring if only one flower open, Spring is a season that many flowers open.
So, in the future, there will be not only tesla make the electric cars, many other company will make more cars including new brands.
My question is that. Do you know China automaker -- BYD also make electric cars?

Welcome to the forum, Tommy. I think Spring is beginning to show around the world as more and more companies are delving into this technology. The difference is, Tesla is the first to make a viable replacement vehicle for the standard market. The biggest drawback to an electric vehicles is range anxiety--fear of not making it to where you want to go. Tesla alleviates that in two ways: providing a car with absolutely GREAT range; and secondly, a roadmap of superchargers stretching from shore to shore here in the U.S. and plans to do so in many other nations. I was not aware of BYD so I cannot make comment on it but my initial impression is the more companies that provide this kind of technology, the better life on this planet will be. I look forward to hearing more about BYD and several other companies researching this kind of transportation.

Totally agree with you.
Tesla is a great company and have very nice car. You know, in China, there are many tesla fans, and many people know tesla.
I hope tesla can sell in China asap.
I only worry about is the battery tesla use. looks not so safe. you know it caught 3 fires.

- - - Updated - - -

yes. Buffet invested in it, then everybody know it.

- - - Updated - - -

this message is too old. i will try to share some info of China's new energy cars here if you like.

Hi Wolf,
What bigger than the sky is the people's heart. Electric car's enemy is traditional petrol car. BYD is not Tesla's competitor. Do you think an eagle's enemy is a tiger? Their target markets & customers are different.
It looks that you know China car industry more then me. Yes, we copy, but now stop copying. Thanks for your close watch China car industry in the coming 5~10 years, then see what happen.
I'm come here to make friend & see what is happening in the other side of the world.
Keep open man.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Red.
I'm not BYD employee. I'm electric car/bus(all, include tsl & byd) fans, I'm environment protector. electric cars help our air clean. In China, some cities, too much air pollution, beijing.....

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, no one has rights to laugh at a people with dreams.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to know more about the electric cars.

Hello Tommy and welcome!

Its good to hear people in China are excited about the future of electric mobility. It is nice to have someone here from China, we dont get too much news about what is happening with BYD or other Chinese electric cars/vehicles so feel free to update us. I am sure the Teslas will go on sale in China pretty soon :smile:

The three fires of the Teslas reported were all involved in some collision but no one was harmed with the Teslas, gasoline cars catch fire too from time to time even without collisions but they dont get reported as news. Also important to remember is that there have been many more severe collisions with Teslas where there have been no fire at all, some have even been posted and pictured here on this forum, they all show the Tesla as a very safe car and no one has been seriously injured.

What people are worried about is not the three fires but that they could become more common because of some design oversight that makes the car more perceptible to hitting road debris (specifically L-shaped made out of steel and standing up on the road) and rupturing the battery compartment. The accidents are being investigated and if they find any issues they will find a remedy, personally I am not concerned but some others worry about public perception.

From what I have seen the Tesla is likely one of the safest, if not THE safest car on the road today because of the strong construction of the car and large crumple zones etc.

e6 | BYD Auto

Some stats:
  • Capacity: 61.4 kWh
  • Curb weight: 5247 lbs
  • Top speed: 87 mph (140 kph)
  • 0 - 60 kph: 7.69sec [note this is kph, not mph]
  • Max power: 121hp (90kW)
  • Range(1): 186 miles (300 km)
    [SUP](1)[/SUP]Actual range will vary upon driving/charging habits, speed, conditions, weather, temperature, and battery age. EPA Range: 122 miles / 196 km.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone list 0-60 kph time (instead of mph).

The "Range" is a full 50% above the EPA rating. That's a bit troubling from a marketing deception standpoint, IMO. I guess the Leaf is similar in that regard (just under 50% gets you from EPA 70 to 100).

If you put this head to head with a Model S 60 kWh -- a car with less energy storage capacity -- it's a bit unfair to the BYD. Unless price is the only thing you are about...

- - - Updated - - -

e6 | BYD Auto
  • 0 - 60 kph: 7.69sec [note this is kph, not mph]

Wikipedia puts out a number for the units I'm more familiar with...
an estimated 0-60 mph acceleration time under 14 seconds
BYD e6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That makes it a second or so slower than an i-MiEV.

Last edited:
One of the things that surprised me when I visited China in 2009 was how much further along Chinese consumers are towards using sustainable energy than American / Canadian consumers:
1. Electric motorcycles are everywhere. More than 120 million in 2010. The highest adoption rate of electric "vehicles" anywhere in the world.
2. Outside of the densely populate cities, and in some cases even within, almost every house and apartment building has solar hot water.
3. Air source heat pumps are used for space heating in homes and apartments. The other Canadian and American tourists in my group would not believe the tour guide when she said she uses the air conditioning in her home for heat. :)

I only worry about is the battery tesla use. looks not so safe. you know it caught 3 fires.

Tommy, welcome to the TMC forum. I would like to say that all three Tesla fires are without injury. Yes, more will catch on fire, just like more petrol cars will catch on fire.

But, the BYD car is the only one that I know of that blew up when an Infiniti car impacted a BYD taxi, which killed everybody inside.

I would not worry about Tesla.

Agree with you regarding your opinion on tesla's 3 fires. Here in China, a media said, the fires give us a confirmation: EV is coming.
See, a train catch fire means the train time comes; rocket catch fire means the space time comes; titanic vessel hit the ice hill means the big vessel time comes. the EV times really comes.

Here in China, the government have a policy to promote the sales and use of new energy cars, from year 2014 to 2015. if the automaker sell a plug in hybrid, the EV range more then 50 km, the government will give the automaker RMB35000, and the local government will also give some funds to the automaker.(different city has different policy). However, BYD meet local market protection policy here in china, it is very bad. Some city like Beijing, Shanghai, BYD's pure EV e6 can not be sold in Beijing & Shanghai, since the local government need to protect their local automaker.

- - - Updated - - -

partial agree with you.
BYD & Tesla target different customers.
TESLA model s---> Rich, high end, till now.
BYD e6---> pulic & taxi.
One fact we need to know is that, 800 set e6 run in Shenzhe as taxi for 3 years, and the total range is upto 100000000 km, a single e6 the longest total range is 400000km. and the battery is still ok for running.