Name:  BYanNC1IEAAKEzD.jpg
Views: 39631
Size:  54.5 KB
    Tom Moloughney
    My BMW i3 blog

Member Generated Post Wiki Thread Summary's Avatar
      Wiki-Post This is a Wiki Post.
    Nov 6, 2013 7:45pm PST - Official statement from Tesla:
    We have been in contact with the driver, who was not injured and believes the car saved his life. Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened. We will provide more information when we’re able to do so.
    Nov. 7, 2013, 9:12 a.m. EST MARKET PULSE Archives
    Tesla confirms third fire involving Model S car
    NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Telsa Motor Inc. TSLA -4.37% confirmed a third fire in one of its Model S electric cars in the past six weeks, Reuters reported. The electric-car maker said the fire was the result of an accident and took place in Smyrna, Tenn. on Wednesday afternoon. The driver wasn't injured. "Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened in the accident," Tesla spokeswoman Elizabeth Jarvis-Shean said in a statement, according to Reuters. "We will provide more information when we're able to do so."

Reuters is reporting November 6 Model S fire was an accident due to hitting metal on road.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...pe=companyNews

Thu Nov 7, 2013 8:52am EST

By Ben Klayman and Bernie Woodall
    Nov 7 (Reuters) - Tesla Motor Inc's Model S electric car has suffered its third fire in six weeks.

The Tesla Motors Club website is running pictures and a story about another fire involving a Model S on Wednesday afternoon that a company spokeswoman confirmed. The accident occurred in Smyrna, Tennessee, where Nissan Motor Co makes the Leaf electric car.

Tesla said it has been in touch with the driver, who was not injured.
    "Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened in the accident," Tesla spokeswoman Elizabeth Jarvis-Shean said in a statement. "We will provide more information when we're able to do so."
    The company said the fire was the result of an accident and was not a spontaneous event.
    The Tennessee Highway Patrol said the incident occurred on Interstate 24 in Smyrna around 1:30 pm.
    "It's possible that it ran over a piece of metal in the roadway and it got up in the engine compartment," police dispatcher Kathy Bryant said. "There was extensive damage."
    Police do not know how fast the 2013-model year car was traveling, but the driver was able to pull over to the shoulder and exit the car.
    Nov. 7, 2013, 9:12 a.m. EST MARKET PULSE Archives
    Tesla confirms third fire involving Model S car
    NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Telsa Motor Inc. TSLA -4.37% confirmed a third fire in one of its Model S electric cars in the past six weeks, Reuters reported. The electric-car maker said the fire was the result of an accident and took place in Smyrna, Tenn. on Wednesday afternoon. The driver wasn't injured. "Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened in the accident," Tesla spokeswoman Elizabeth Jarvis-Shean said in a statement, according to Reuters. "We will provide more information when we're able to do so."
    Nov. 7, 2013, 10:35 a.m. Various sources
    Tennessee Highway Patrol Spokesperson Saying Tesla Fire Was Caused by Car Running Over Tow Hitch, Metal Struck the Undercarriage
    Tennessee Highway Patrol Spokesperson Saying Tesla Fire Was Caused by Car Running Over Tow Hitch, Metal Struck the Undercarriage | Benzinga

Nov. 7, 2013, 11:25 a.m. Bloomberg News
    a Tennessee Highway Patrol spokeswoman, said in an e-mail. The driver, identified as Juris Shibayama, struck a tow hitch that was in the middle of a lane, which damaged the car’s undercarriage and caused the fire, Qualls said. Shibayama was able to pull the car over to the side and was uninjured, Qualls said.
    Nov. 9 2013, Tesla Motors Blog By Juris Shibayama, MD
    From the time of impact of the object until the time the car caught fire was about five minutes. During this time, the car warned me that it was damaged and instructed me to pull over. I never felt as though I was in any imminent danger
    From a Model S owner in Tennessee | Blog | Tesla Motors
    Last edited by MDK; 11-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    The above was post may have been edited by multiple members. The last person to save an edit is displayed.

Any details?

This one's a little disturbing. No serious front-end collision damage visible. The front crash bar is completely intact and un-bent, which would indicate it didn't rear end someone or have some other major frontal impact.

Another road debris fire? Maybe an offset frontal on the driver's side we can't see.
    P85 - Multicoat Red, October Tech, Pano, UHFS, Parking, Carbon Fiber, Textile, Coil, 19"

Blog Entries
    Oh man...
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Nope. Just these pics. It hasn't hit the news yet

Name:  teslafire2.jpg
Views: 37270
Size:  54.9 KB
    Tom Moloughney
    My BMW i3 blog

man this isn't good. I hope the driver made it out safely.
    mods can we edit title and add the date (nov 6)?

I guess it's time for another round of speculation and media reports.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Name:  1391798_10201353016201491_1780614158_n.jpg
Views: 36818
Size:  52.9 KB

Not good to have them clustered like this.

Do we see debris all over the place?

Thread Information