Page 7 of 226 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla in Australia?

I saw Jay at the recent showings @ Westfield Sydney city. He tells me that world pricing will be released in April, so this month.
    I doubt they will bring a Model S to Australia until after production starts in July and there are enough spare cars.
    I'll be in the US in September partially to visit a show room and choose colours and spec.
    Last edited by meloccom; 2012-04-01 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Icon6 1st Australian store

At the Westfield event in March, Jay mentioned that the store would be opening later this year in Westfield, Bondi Junction.
    I have also seen somewhere that our first model S may arrive 1st quarter 2013.
    Was at the October event at the factory. A really beautiful car. Can't wait!!!

Q1 2013 would be awesome! Is right hand drive a requirement for Australia? Because then homologation for the entire UK is not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by VolkerP View Post
    Q1 2013 would be awesome! Is right hand drive a requirement for Australia? Because then homologation for the entire UK is not far away.
    Absolutely, right hand drive is mandatory in Australia. Simon Hackett the guy who brought an early left hand drive roadster was never able to permanently register it here. I think the car went back to the US once he got an official right hand drive roadster.

EV Enthusiast KangarooAustralia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dborn View Post
    At the Westfield event in March, Jay mentioned that the store would be opening later this year in Westfield, Bondi Junction.
    I have also seen somewhere that our first model S may arrive 1st quarter 2013.
    Was at the October event at the factory. A really beautiful car. Can't wait!!!
    Thanks for the information, Dborn. I can't wait to see a Model S "up close and personal" lol

We now have a new local rep, or I think he is local- Kevin Yu. Jay is no longer with the company. Kyu@teslamotors.com. His latest info is that our cars are due late this year - I suppose on the basis that rhd being available in the UK at that time.I really was hoping for third quarter or possibly even second quarter.

Can't believe I missed this article from June this year.
    Tesla 2013 Model S - Tesla Model S expected to cost $75K in Oz | GoAuto
    It quotes what Jay told me at the August event that the Model S will start at about the luxury car tax level of $75,375.
    AUS P#26 S85 Anza Brown/Tan Obeche Gloss, 19" wheels, Tech, Air Suspension. Reserved 31 May 2012, Ordered 1 June 2014 and Confirmed 5 June 2014.

Wait a moment before popping a bottle of Champaign

Mr McCormack said the entry-level Model S (priced from $US57,400 before government incentives) could end up being priced close to the $75,375 luxury car tax threshold for fuel-efficient cars
    The base model will be $US59,900 beginning with 2013. Early reservation holders may get a rebate - in Europe it's EUR 1,700 before VAT. Tesla will not import the 40kWh base model in Europe. I think they want to sell the higher margin models to cover delivery costs. I expect the same for Australia.

Conclusion: the AUS base model costs $US69,900. If I apply above exchange rate, I get $91790.

Volker, the exchange rate currently is 1.04. That is, the Aussie dollar is higher than the US. We have 5% import duty and 10% GST The GST is imposed on the import price that is including shipping and insurance. Then we have a luxury car tax, which on the model S this year is above $75365.00 less the GST otherwise we would be paying a tax on a tax on a tax. The luxury tax is only on the amount above that figure. So, if accessories or options can be billed separately then that brings down the cost of the car, and possibly assists in avoiding at least the luxury car tax component ( but not the other imposts).

Plus those in Australia with a current reservation will get a rebate equivalent to the price rise.
    Got an email the other day from Tesla confirming this.
    However previously experience with the LCT means that it will apply to accessories including the battery upgrades.
    I'm writing to a number of federal ministers but don't expect any reaction.
    AUS P#26 S85 Anza Brown/Tan Obeche Gloss, 19" wheels, Tech, Air Suspension. Reserved 31 May 2012, Ordered 1 June 2014 and Confirmed 5 June 2014.

Thread Information