Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172

Thread: Tesla in Australia?

Liberal governments looking after their corporate mates!
    I can't see them giving Tesla any favours even though buying a Tesla is a form of seasonal 'Direct Action'.
    Last edited by doctorwho; Yesterday at 10:51 PM.
    regards
    Michael
    ...wishin' and hoping' for affordable Australian pricing

Wow daylight robbery.
    It's ruffly a 5year turn around before you have paid off your solar panels here.
    And I've heard of 20kw systems, so there's definitely not a 5kw limit.

I'm selling at 60c/kWh and buying at about 30c. 2kWh system on the roof. My old man has a solar business about 20 years deep, so I'm keeping a close eye on the costs of battery backup systems, it simply doesn't pay off yet. But batteries are getting cheaper and electricity more expensive, so its only a matter of time.

Generating more than I use though, so happy in the meantime. Begging for an EV in the garage.

You can install whatever sized system you want but each electricity distributor has it's own rules about the maximum capacity that can be grid connected, usually 4.5 - 5kW. The rest can feed batteries but not be grid connected. It's a real shame that Tesla's can't manage 2 way power, it would be a great storage unit on those days when it stays at home, or even just to draw upon during peak power times.
    regards
    Michael

Over 5kW is treated as a small scale generator that has seperate requirements with the distributor in regards to power quality. At least that's how it is in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by alexeiw123 View Post
    Over 5kW is treated as a small scale generator that has seperate requirements with the distributor in regards to power quality. At least that's how it is in my area.
    Yes I installed a 2kW system when it cost $23k (& that included $7k incentive)!! Luckily I'm getting 66c feed in tariff but we are moving soon and I won't get that in my new house. The plan will be to have a small battery system that runs the house during the day supplementing generated capacity and recharges from the grid at night using cheaper electricity. The Tesla will be additional to that though unless I find a supercharger.
    regards
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
    I can't see them giving Tesla any favours even though buying a Tesla is a form of seasonal 'Direct Action'.
    No. 'Direct Action' is taking taxpayer cash and giving it largely without strings to a bunch of the biggest polluters without any real penalties for them just not doing anything. Anyone who bought that pup needs to consider where the cash came from in the first place. In this instance I actually agree with our new Treasurer Joe - in the end, somebody pays. In this case, it's you and me regardless. Under an emissions trading scheme I could decide to buy all of my power from renewables and not pay any carbon tax, and there would be a commercial incentive for polluters to cut their costs.

Sad really.

I was joking, Direct Action is just more corporate welfare and not designed for citizens, we are discouraged from taking any action.
    regards
    Michael

Thread Information