Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IEEE 1547 Revision Workshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://iecs.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_151236

Finally IEEE is revisiting the standard 1547 which concerns the connection of distributed energy resources. Currently the standard requires all of the distributed generators to produce unity power factor and have anti-islanding protection. Hopefully once the standard is revised, roof top solar can have smart inverters which control node voltage as well, significantly improving grid efficiency. It could also pave the way for move Vehicle-to-Grid services such as voltage regulation from the EV inverter while charging. Here's hoping.

Currently the inverters must spit out unity power factor power. If there are many solar installations on the same distribution transformer or area of the network, this can lead to voltage rises which will result in shutting off some of the solar. Smart inverters would have full spectrum reactive power control and therefore could lower or raise the voltage as needed to allow more solar on the grid as well as improve its voltage profile.

Currently the inverters must spit out unity power factor power. If there are many solar installations on the same distribution transformer or area of the network, this can lead to voltage rises which will result in shutting off some of the solar. Smart inverters would have full spectrum reactive power control and therefore could lower or raise the voltage as needed to allow more solar on the grid as well as improve its voltage profile.

What is "full spectrum reactive power control?" Does that mean the inverters would be allowed to raise voltage more than they do now? How would this improve the voltage profile? Does it mean they could change the frequency more than the current range of 59.3 to 60.5? If you don't have time to answer, I understand... If that's the case, maybe you can refer me to more reading? We're expanding our solar system this month so I'm curious.