Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please move to XenForo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used forum software for a very, very long time (2004) - the version of vBulletin that you're using dates back to 2006, the newer versions of vBulletin are not usable in my opinion (which is why I and many others have left vBulletin).

I would love to see TMC move to something newer and more usable, something that has kept up with the times. XenForo is one of the best forum software out there - and it's created by the ORIGINAL VB3 dev team (Mike/Kier/Ashley)

That's not exactly a small request. I hear you, though. With what we've seen of vB5, vB is a dead end. However, XF has a ways to go to match vB4's feature set. Some of this can be made up with addons, but I'd rather have more in the XF core. So I'd give it some time.

I can't say I've liked XF that much when I've used it on other forums. Maybe because it's less familiar. (Maybe it's the default pastel blue and orange colors few seem to change.) However, from an admin perspective there are many reasons to switch. XF is less taxing on the server, has better SEO, responsive web design, and some other things. But like I said it has a ways to catch up to what we're already using. I'd give XF at least another 6 months to catch up. (Though if we had the funds, I wouldn't mind getting a license now to play with.) The plain truth is that vB is stagnant and XF is in motion. So a change at some point is inevitable.

I've also hit some very annoying bugs were XenForo will barf and eat posts upon encountering certain text or links that lead to certain content. Also, I don't believe there's any way to turn off URL parsing.

There are also some very annoying bugs where depending on what's specified in the <title> tag of the target link, when you go back to edit a post, the link URL will vanish, leaving only the useless link text, but no link/URL.

vBulletin doesn't have most of these bugs or I hit them WAY less frequently. I'm on numerous other sites that use vBulletin.

I've actually used vB2/3 extensively and now xF - please Pm me your qualms with XF if you'd like to solve them. I've yet to encounter any major issues with XF (VB3 is stable as well but it's a dead product).

Additionally, no matter how difficult you believe the transfer is, TMC is small potatoes compared to the rest of the industry ;). DP switched to XF a few months back (with GREAT success): Online Internet Marketing & Search Engine Optimization Forum
Discussions:2,245,013
Members:704,914

What do you mean? I've found XF easy to admin (like VB3)

I could be wrong as I've never done admin for either but that was just my impression. Glad it seems to be a good option at least. Good to have people that use it chime it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to make XF look like the current TMC theme? Why mess with a good thing. Very easy to post, edit and find most things here.

I could be wrong as I've never done admin for either but that was just my impression. Glad it seems to be a good option at least. Good to have people that use it chime it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to make XF look like the current TMC theme? Why mess with a good thing. Very easy to post, edit and find most things here.

:) Everything is possible :)

There are genuine concerns with the change; the approach of getting it out there and then working on missing features and tweaks incrementally was misunderstood; it was a hell of a surprise for the user base. But a lot of it does seem to come down to Metathesiophobia (word of the day for me).

I, for one, see the switch to XF as great for the future of TMC - particularly the solid foundation that it brings to TMC. User Interfaces evolve over time, and that is easy. The hard part is the foundational work. VB was a hack and a hell of a load on the server. In the past year or so, every time there was a big event, TMC would crawl and the admins scramble to scale up resources. VB @TMC could handle the roadster enthusiasts, started to severely struggle when Model S took off, but wouldn't stand a chance for Model 3 volumes.

With the upcoming Model 3 launch, and the presumably 5x to 10x increase in Tesla owners over the coming few years, I see the switch to XF as a necessity.