Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in Battery Heating message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that at about 30degrees F my Modeel S takes about 5 mins of driving for the "Battery is Heating" message to appear.
I would think the car would want to heat the battery as soon as I started driving.
Why is this?

The car is plugged in just before I leave so I am unable to tell if the battery is preheated before I start, I would think not because this would be a waste of energy.

Wow. 8 months and 6000 miles and I've never even seen the message. Interested in the discussion!

I have had a lot of cold starts, and never saw this message until 5.6

I agree that it does not come on for several minutes. What I have seen is the the heater does not come on until the car thinks you are serious about driving (moving a tenth of mile or so). I assume this is to preserve charge. When the heater kicks in, it is serious. I have seen 10 kW or so used, and that use starts well before the message comes up.

I have had a lot of cold starts, and never saw this message until 5.6

I agree that it does not come on for several minutes. What I have seen is the the heater does not come on until the car thinks you are serious about driving (moving a tenth of mile or so). I assume this is to preserve charge. When the heater kicks in, it is serious. I have seen 10 kW or so used, and that use starts well before the message comes up.

Makes sense to me...if you're just moving the car from the garage to the driveway (as I often do since my kids can't get in when the car's in the garage), you wouldn't want to be burning electrons.

Very odd. I've parked for hours (and overnight) in sub-freezing temps and have yet to see it. I do get pretty severe regen limitation that seems to take a lot longer to "clear" than I recall last winter.

I've seen it once this season. It was maybe 24F outside that night. And definitely agree it takes a lot longer for regen limit to disappear than it did last season. :-(

I just got this for the first time today after parking outside all day. I am on 4.5. It did not turn off by the time I got home, about 15km. I also noticed there was significantly less power as I could not comfortably get up to speed on the highway. Is this normal???

I just got this for the first time today after parking outside all day. I am on 4.5. It did not turn off by the time I got home, about 15km. I also noticed there was significantly less power as I could not comfortably get up to speed on the highway. Is this normal???

Yes. I just saw the message leaving work tonight, temp showed as 33F, as soon as I turned the heat on, the message came up. It actually displays "Battery is heating, power will improve as you drive" I am still on 4.5

Mitch

Yesterday it took almost my entire 30 mile drive home for the regn limit to clear.

Me too. It was about 28 F when I left and the re-gen limit was at about 5 kW. This means I essentially had no re-gen because my car never gets up to the yellow dashed line under re-gen anyway. It always stops about 5 kW short of the line. I have about a 45 mile / 1 hour drive, mostly freeway. It got up to about the 30 kW limit when I got home. I've still yet to see this so-called message on the dash. I don't object to Tesla implementing this to protect the battery, but it seems a lot more severe than last winter.

Me too. It was about 28 F when I left and the re-gen limit was at about 5 kW. This means I essentially had no re-gen because my car never gets up to the yellow dashed line under re-gen anyway. It always stops about 5 kW short of the line. I have about a 45 mile / 1 hour drive, mostly freeway. It got up to about the 30 kW limit when I got home. I've still yet to see this so-called message on the dash. I don't object to Tesla implementing this to protect the battery, but it seems a lot more severe than last winter.

Maybe you'll have to start plugging in at work again, and set a charge timer for 30mins before the end of your day or something. :)