Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston - Nov 19, 7 pm - "Pricing Carbon" - Eminent Panel w/Steve Curwood of NPR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Pricing Carbon
Free Admission

Tuesday, November 19, 7 p.m. EST
Babson College
Sorenson Theatre
231 Forest Street
Wellesley, MA

Distinguished Moderator: Steve Curwood of NPR's "Living on Earth" program
Pulitzer Prize winner. Journalist for the past 30 years at NPR, CBS News, the Boston Globe, and others. Created "Living on Earth" (1990), hosted ever since. Bio at http://www.loe.org/about/steve.html.

Distinguished Panelists: Theda Skocpol & Joseph Aldy (Harvard), John Reilly (MIT), Fritz Fleischman (Babson), Gary Rucinski (Citizens Climate Lobby)

Sponsor: League of Women Voters of Wellesley
Co-Sponsors: LWV of Massachusetts, LWV of Needham

Please join us! All points of view particularly welcome -- discussions will ensue! Attendance is projected at several hundred.

Disclosure of my interest: my wife is co-President of the League of Women Voters' Wellesley chapter.

Please see attached flier for details. And please feel free to pass along the flier and/or this post.

Thank you for reading all this. I hope you'll make time for the event!

Alan Langerman, aka Pollux

Pricing Carbon Flier.jpg

Hi, @EdA,

So glad to see your suggestion! I was planning to put out an appeal later today, when I have a moment. I think it's a natural setting to show off Tesla. I was also going to invite other EV groups (Leaf? Volt?) if someone can either place a notice there on my behalf or tell me what forums to go to. I'm also planning to contact the Natick Tesla sales office to obtain any collateral I can, e.g., posters, brochures. Finally, @bonnie suggested that we have a dinner beforehand -- I think that's a great idea, so I'll put out a posting about that, too.

I'm thinking that the postings for asking for cars and for a pre-panel dinner should go to the New England forum rather than the EVents forum.

*Very* happy to get feedback on these ideas from you and anyone else!

Thanks!

Alan

I will try to make it...Model S caravan anyone? :)

Anyone else interested in bringing their Tesla to the panel? Please let me know. (Also see http://www.meetup.com/New-England-Tesla-Motors-Club/)

Also, my wife asked me to thank you all!

Alan, would you please pass on my sincere thanks to the members of the Tesla Motors Club who volunteered to bring their cars to this event? Here is a typical response from a Babson student. Having the cars there is going to make a world of difference in attracting young kids - exactly the audience we want. I am sooooo appreciative!!

xo

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: RE: Tesla Brigade Coming to Babson Nov. 19! :)

Date: November 12, 2013 4:33:55 PM GMT+01:00

To: 'Jessica Langerman' <[email protected]>

WHAT!!!!!
This is amazing. I am a huge Tesla fan and this is great. My organization actually had a Auto Show two Sundays ago and we tried to get a Tesla brigade here!
Thanks
Nate

Sent: Friday, November 8, 2013 8:36 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tesla Brigade Coming to Babson Nov. 19! :)

Hello! My name is Jessica Langerman - I am co-President of the Wellesley League of Women Voters.

We wanted to let you know that on Nov. 19, the host of NPR's "Living on Earth" program, Steve Curwood, will be moderating a panel on "carbon pricing," which will include discussion of a revenue-neutral carbon tax.

In support of that event, the local Tesla auto group will be bringing several cars on campus to park in front of the Sorenson Theatre @ 7:00 p.m. Anyone interested can come check them out! :)

We hope your group will come, not only to see the cars, but to participate in this fascinating discussion. Flyer attached! :)

Thank you,

Jessica

Love to have you & the roadster!

Per bhuwan: ya!

As luck would have it, I just might be in Wellesley that day... My daughter is one of the main organizers of Fossil-Free Wellesley. This event will attract a big crowd. I hope I can go, and visit my daughter at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Alan, Should I bring my Roadster to add a little variety?

Hi, folks,

Looking forward to seeing you all tonight!

In the interest of full disclosure -- I don't want anyone to be disappointed! -- I'm still at a limit of 4 vehicles to display in front of the theatre. I think we can park others prominently in the parking lot, but I will have to work with the Babson people this afternoon to fix that up. I've been poking at the 4 limit and still wonder whether I can get to 5. But so far it's not happening. (And right now we have bhuwan, kumar, EdA, PeterK, myself, probably Henry and maybe Angela).

So here's what I plan to do: first-come-first-to-be-put-on-display for the Model S. I plan to do that for THREE of the Model S's. I will also give up my chance at a spot if anyone is particularly bummed out... or if everyone else beats me there. :) I do plan to save one spot for Henry's Roadster, since we're only going to have one Roadster. Then, we find other spots for the other cars.

We may wind up rotating the cars into the display positions if some of you want to leave early and others are willing to stay later. The event is 7-9 and I picture people investigating the cars before the event, say 6:30-7, and after the event, say, 9-9:30 or even 9-10.

I may not get a chance to check the forum this afternoon so if you think my plan is unfair, unreasonable, etc., please call me on my cell at 617 306 3226 to discuss or send me email ([email protected]).

Again, I don't want anyone to be disappointed, since all of you are going out of your way to help out!

Thanks!

Alan

You can give my space away. Some things have changed that will make it harder for me to attend. I was really looking forward to it but my daughter's schedule has changed and the 70A charging station I was counting on is apparently not working. I'm disappointed and sorry I won't be able to see you all.:crying:

THANK YOU!!!

Folks,

Just wanted to take a moment to say a quick "thank you!!" from my wife, Jessica, and myself. The Pricing Carbon panel at Babson College was a big success last night and Jessica is absolutely convinced that the participation of Tesla Motors Club made a huge difference. Her own estimate is that attendance was perhaps a ⅓ higher than it would otherwise have been. She also thinks that the TMC participation helped bring in some younger people to what otherwise can be perceived as a "stuffy" League of Women Voters event. I know from my own direct observation that a ton of Babson kids showed up, many of whom checked out the cars, most of whom went into the panel discussion.

We also gave away five door prizes consisting of rides in the Teslas. TMC members gave the rides, and it has been a huge success.

Jessica reports that she has been approached by two separate individuals/organizations asking whether TMC can bring Teslas to their events. (I think @EdA was approached by one of them.) So... more events await.

A big thank-you to @bhuwan, @EdA, @tslagrl, @PeterK, Kumar (@bhuwan's cousin) and Jim!

THANK YOU,
Alan

P.S. Here's a somewhat pathetic picture of the event itself. Jessica reports that about 300 people attended. It turned into standing-room-only on the main floor, and eventually the balcony was opened up for the overflow.

Pricing Carbon @ Babson.jpg

It certainly was fun. Nearly lost my voice talking about the car before the talk.
Sorry if I hijacked someone's parking spot. Also, I took my "winner" for a ride last night,
it was fun, spent about an hour going over every feature of the car and a 20+ minute ride
which included some highway. He was thrilled. Were other's doing the rides on another day?

Between that and the State House, quite the Tesla day for me.

PS: I'm not sure I really get the whole Carbon Pricing thing when developing countries aren't
participating, etc. etc. :)